Hybrids - Class of 2011/12

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Jerry Shilling, Aug 9, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Jerry Shilling

Jerry Shilling Well-Known Member

These guys are approximately 18/19 months old. They have survived several cuts and have been assigned a number. I will take photos again in approximately 4/6 months. If the interest is there, I will enlist Judy's help and we'll pick out several of the better ones to bring to the tour/auctions that occur from time to time.

Any proceeds that I realize from my crotons will go to the Little Daisy Memorial Scholarship. The Little Daisy Fund is recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) corporation. All contibutions are tax deductable. http://www.littledaisy.org

1-3 JLSHyb11120001
    4-5 JLSHyb11120002
    6-7 JLSHyb11120003
    8-9 JLSHyb11120004

Attached Files:

2. Jerry Shilling

They are kinda cute...

1- JLSHyb11120005
    2- JLSHyb11120006
    3- JLSHyb11120007
    4- JLSHyb11120008
    5-7 JLSHyb11120009

Attached Files:

3. Jerry Shilling

A few more...

1-2 JLSHyb11120010
    3-4 JLSHyb11120011
    5 JLSHyb11120012
    6 JLSHyb11120013
    7-8 JLSHyb11120014

Attached Files:

4. Jerry Shilling

And...

Attached Files:

5. Jerry Shilling

Last ones...

1-2 JLSHyb11120021a
    3 JLSHyb10110022 (class of 2010/11) slow
    4 JLSHyb11120023
    5-6 JLSHyb11120028
    6-7 JLSHyb11120030

Attached Files:

6. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Jerry, can't wait to get my hands on a few of these. Great looking stuff!

7. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Absolutely beautiful.

8. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

9. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Well said Phil, great work JLS1&2 BEAUTIFUL.

10. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Yikes, I think you got the hang of hybridizing Jerry. Palm Island sure could use a few of those.:rolleyes:

11. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Sweet! And yes, many of these will end up in the Wiki soon. Hope to add a few of these someday in my garden, it would be an honor!

Jeff

12. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

Hello Jerry, if you decide to release some seedlings to the public I would like one with the pictures marked 5-7. Not only will I make a donation, I'll name it Little Angel.

13. Jerry Shilling

Hi Kip - Brenda & I are planning on attending the Glock tour in November. I thought I would bring 3 to 6 hybrids with us for the auction. If you're attending, I will include this one. If not, I'll hold it back for the next one you can attend. Thanks for the inquiry Kip and I love the name.

I'm currently waiting at the Miami airport for a flight to LAX. Jodi & Shon are expecting within the next few days...there first and a daughter at that. The pressure is on Grandpa to hybridize a croton worthy of
    "Pixie Abilene".

14. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

Great stuff Jerry. Looking forward to seeing some of these in person. And congrats on the soon to be.

15. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Oh no, looks like the Moose is going to be hitting up the money market account come November :eek:

16. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Jerry, Why do I keep looking at these?:p How many "culls" to make these?

17. Jerry Shilling

Hey Randy,

The class of 11/12 had approximately 600 seeds germinate and it looks like I ended up with about 24 plants that look like they will hold there color. So about 4% made it to getting an assigned number. Keith and Chris, is this typical for you guys?

This past winter I germinated approximately 1300 seeds. These plants are much further along at 6 months than the prior year. Some of these guys are already displaying some rather large leaves for there age. Anyway, if the 4% holds up, I should get 50 plants or so with some nice potential. The last photo was the most anticipated cross for me...Monarch (seed) with Sybil Griffen. Germination wasn't very good as it was one of the last flats I put up. Not very impressive at this stage.

I'm guessing I have culled at least 1000 of the seedlings at 6 months of age. If the seedling doesn't show any color at all...it's gone. I do make exceptions for leaf shape and exceptional vigor/root development. I'm sure I have thrown away some plants that would have colored up later, but I just don't have the space.

I initially started hybridizing hoping I would get a winner here and there to trade for some of the rarer stuff. But I find I really enjoy watching these guys develop. Like you Randy I love to take photos, so it's fun to document there growth/characteristics etc. So anyone who acquires one of my babies will get some early photos if they wish. I'm really thrilled that some of you are interested in these guys. It allows me to raise a few bucks for a charity pretty dear to me and gives you guys a chance to name a croton or two. Hopefully some of them will turn out to be special.

Attached Files: