Hurricane Irma results on Cudjoe

Judy Glock

08/07/09
Hi everyone! Well it has been over a month since Irma visited Cudjoe. Thank goodness our house survived with minimal damage. We did loose a lot of palms and therefore our canopy. We did have some storm surge into some of the yard and significant salt burn over everything with highest gusts to 170 mph! Our Cuban and Caribbean palms survived the best. Main problem is not enough rain! I am starting to see some budding out on the croton stems so hopefully those will survive! However, I have counted at least 40+ that our definitely dead and of course, they include ones like Milky Way, Royal Horseguard, Sailor's Delight,etc. I plan to leave everything in the ground for another month before removing them.
In Ft. Myers, we had a lot of hardwood trees go down. The house did OK. Crotons blew over but just needed restaking.
So overall, we were very lucky! Judy

Judy - thanks for the update. Got any pictures? Still waiting for city pickup of a growing pile yard waste. A lot of truckers went south where they are getting more money per load.

Judy, I'll put a Sailor's Delight in the mist house for you. This time of year it takes about 2 months to root.

Hi everyone! Well it has been over a month since Irma visited Cudjoe. Thank goodness our house survived with minimal damage. We did loose a lot of palms and therefore our canopy. We did have some storm surge into some of the yard and significant salt burn over everything with highest gusts to 170 mph! Our Cuban and Caribbean palms survived the best. Main problem is not enough rain! I am starting to see some budding out on the croton stems so hopefully those will survive! However, I have counted at least 40+ that our definitely dead and of course, they include ones like Milky Way, Royal Horseguard, Sailor's Delight,etc. I plan to leave everything in the ground for another month before removing them.
In Ft. Myers, we had a lot of hardwood trees go down. The house did OK. Crotons blew over but just needed restaking.
So overall, we were very lucky! Judy
I am glad to hear that the houses in both locations made it through Irma in one piece. I really hope most of the plants pull threw as well. Keep us posted.

Judy! So glad to hear from you! Great to hear your homes did well. You and Jim now have the opportunity to re-plant some palms and crotons you love even more! It will be beautiful again soon, I'm sure. Like Randy and Marie said, if there are some plants you need, let us know and we can air layer some for you. So happy you two are fine, and so happy you checked in with us. Would love to see you here more often!:FastGrow

I have dozens in pots, just show up and pick your poison. I am glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Thanks for all your replys! Marie, I found a small Sailor's Delight in the shade house in FM but thanks for the offer! My death tally is still around 50! Crotons really don't like extended salt spray and storm surge. And now the new croton leaves on the canal side have become a "salad bowl" for the iguanas! But, I will be patient and just replant when we see how many palms survive for canopy. Thanks to all who have offered plants!