1. Please enjoy this new off-topic forum. It is open to everyone. Common sense will prevail as to what can be discussed. If any discussion becomes too controversial or offensive to some, it will be moved to the private "Talk Story" forum.

If you wish to read the more provocative topics in the private forum, please click on the "Contact Us" link in the lower right corner of any page and request admission.

(You may dismiss this notice permanently by clicking on the small "X" - upper right)
    Dismiss Notice

Huge storm systems headed for the Bay Area...

Discussion in 'INTERESTING, INSIGHTFUL, PROVOCATIVE, EDUCATIONAL' started by Stan, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

They are talking about as much as 4 inches in five days for Hayward- another 2" for SF,and local mountains as much as 7-8" in only five days. They say this will get all the still dry creeks flowing,green the hills (eventually) and go a long ways to giving us snow and water for the summer. Its not even an Alaskan storm..more of a norcal latitude storm in the Pacific. Days in the 60's lows in the 50's.
    I think the drought is over...soon.

2. Enjoy the rain. :) I always love it when it rains here. But the drought probably won't be over just yet.

3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I noticed the longer range prognostications show the possibility of a wet last half of December. Hopefully that storm door will swing open widely for you guys. I hate to think what another below normal winter will mean for everything.

4. bepah

bepah Active Member

Good rain today...and I scored a nice Begonia x 'San Miguel' in Berkeley while everyone else was afraid of melting in the rain!

5. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Well,we had heavy rains...and still hit about 70f today. That's El Nino to me. New maps show a huge pool of much above average warm water off of norcal..and above average from soucal across the whole equator Pacific.
    Its fun to see subtropicals just go super green here because the growing season hasnt ended. Usually big rains this time of year are cold Alaskan rains that can rot out the marginals. Papaya's are happy, Crotons in full leaf,Mango tree looks great. King palms,are luxuriating...all the palm species.
    Cycads have deepened in color. Aloe polyphylla- a fussy Aloe..is reveling in rains and mild temps. Its didn't like the 80's of summer. Almost killed it.

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

rain and warm temps = a good thing for plants

7. Dypsisdean

I'm happy for you guys - another year like last year and I would hate to imagine what things would be like. It would surely have been a major change for those gardeners liking lush surroundings.

8. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

The rains of just the past week alone erased 10% of the three year drought one report said. The storms as of today are still lined up and warm. Another 70 or 71f day in Hayward. Not in my lifetime has the first week of December been 70f and plenty rainy.

9. bepah

bepah Active Member

Wednesday brings another good sized storm....not too cold either. I love global warming!

10. Dypsisdean

This sounds like the Pineapple Express may be running this year - You're Welcome. :gangnamstyle:

11. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Thursday is supposed to be the mother of all storms this fall so far. I heard one local meteor man say that the Santa Cruz Hills and the like (Marin's Mt Tamalpais) are going to see up to 10" and that's just ridiculous if true. Up to 5" for the bay area and that's going to cause flooding all over- mainly clogged storm drains. The inner bay area is pretty much too built up for any more landslides. Pacifica right on the beach is another that has to worry about heavy rains.
    They used to say that GW would give us less snow but more rain. And less snowpack. But when you get this kind of deluge,a big snowpack is sort of a moot point!
    And yes,thank you Dean,and my Mango,Delonix and Crotons thank you. For December,after that..:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  12. Dypsisdean

Feast or Famine

For SoCal they need the Colorado watershed to do well too. And if SoCal gets out of the drought, then that helps NoCal save water as well.

13. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

The big rains started at 7:30am,got heavy until 10:30am...and then kept falling steadily and is still falling 11 hours later. I had to wait for a while on the road as a rock slide was cleared in Niles Canyon.
    All I see is drinking water,tropical plant water..and long shower water falling from the sky. No complaints.

14. bepah

bepah Active Member

The garden is happy with all of the water it gets from the sky...especially as I have only watered the minimum to keep them alive. What also helps is that we are in mid December and the lowest lows hit so far is 45. Thank God for global warming! I have always been in favor of it!

15. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Some stats : San Jose is 740% ahead of its normal December. 20 billion gallons of rain fell on SF in one storm. Its been the rainiest SF December since 1952. We went from drought to 20-30% of the way to ending the three year drought.
    My Rainforest type plants are taking it in stride. I worry about toppling from big tree Euphorbs. So far my lowest low has been 47f..our average low has been 50f...in a month where the average in history is 42f. AND!...Christmas should be a sunny 65f. Maybe warmer.
    No frost is my Christmas present.

16. Dypsisdean

The long range forecast I watch has California, including SoCal, getting pounded by repeated storms beginning about two weeks from now. Looks serious if it actually happens.

17. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Love it when another conserv admit to global warming myth

18. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I noticed that Hayward's low was warmer then Los Angeles - by five degrees. So,I look at the weather page and I see that tomorrow the lows will be in the low 50's from San Diego to ...ta da, Seattle!. When was the last time that happened on a December 20th?
    And,when the sun does break out? We might have a near 70f Christmas day or sooner. I wish you could only know the shock of seeing Maridol Papaya's still green and normal looking-lol,on December 19th in the bay area.
    check this other miracle out on my porch :D
    yesterday:
    IMG_1567.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
  19. Dypsisdean

Stan,
    Looks like outside at my place - including the grey tiger stripped kitty. :Cat

20. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

That's Tiger-Cat. a super mellow dude. He uses his paws like hands much more then any old cat. Cracks me up when he sits on my chest wanting to be fed......he gently places his paw on my nose as I try to watch tv reclining- lol.
    Now get this for weather trivia- Tomorrow the lows from Vancouver to San Ignacio Baja California will be in the 50's. On December 20th.
    When was the last time that happened? Like never!..or maybe 50,000 years ago when Camels roamed Hayward.

21. Dypsisdean

I see my long range indicator already backed off of the heavy train of storms headed for central Cal two weeks out. :(

22. Dypsisdean

23. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

I know last year we said the bay area had a "soucal" like winter. I don't even know what to compare this winter to. Auckland? Bogota? Yesterday Dean,the hills were shrouded in very low clouds,it was very muggy,very picturesque..but mild. Mid 60's for a high,lows in the mid 50's.
    I looked at your chart Dean, and see a huge trough of mild that streams from the most northerly Hawaiian island right up to Canada or so. Its shaped like a giant thumb print. Thumbs up for this winter!

24. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Today might be a record warm day for the date. All it took was one single sunny day. Not a build up..just sun,no clouds.

25. Dypsisdean

Now it looks relatively dry for you guys 10-14 days out.

26. Dypsisdean

Stan - I hope this scenario doesn't pan out - looks like it could cool things down for you guys - a lot.

Jet.jpg

27. bepah

bepah Active Member

Dodged the bullet through last night....forecast is for more 'cool' weather. For my part, if we stay clear, the sun will warm things up pretty quickly and I'll just be concerned with the lows, which generally hit right at sunup or so.....

28. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

It has. John,Dean,the lowest here has been"upgraded" to 34. I will cover the Mango's,Delonix,Papaya,Crotons (still looking summerish) and whatever else looks like it might need help. Mango wants to flush and flower right now.
    Its been 54 weeks since I had a frost,a good run. Although in the 2000's I have had two 10b winters. Lowest lows of 35f. 2007 and 2013 kept reality flowing...lol..

29. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Its been revised again to a low of "only" 35f in Hayward. I will still cover.

30. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Revised again down to 34f. All I know is,today in the morning is already warmer then the high predicted. The morning low was well into the 40's
    A 10b winter.

31. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Revised again up to one 35f,a 36f and then warmer. 10b here we come!

32. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

35f sounds too close for comfort...still going to toss some coverage. Croton Petra..looks summer like today. Not a single dropped leaf.
    Its not under any shelter..right out there under the stars and sun.

33. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

We hit 62f! and as I write the screwy weather is still 61 here-55f in Los Angeles. I dont see us having any frost this year.
    What a great year to try Crotons,Papaya and Delonix.