How Long for Cuttings to Root?

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
I got some real cool cuttings at the auction. All were on my wish list.

Made a loose mix of fine pine bark, perlite and peat moss - equal proportions. Put them them in a plastic box with 1" of moist sand at the bottom, Covered the box with a piece of plexiglass. The mix is damp but not wet. I'm seeing condensation on the interior of the plexiglass so the humidity seems good.

Given that these cuttings were done at the beginning of November, how long until I get some nicely rooted plants? Hopefully the weather remains warm for the next 30+ days.

I would guess middle of next month.I just did some airlayers earlier this week,I am hoping they will be ready around the same time.We just need the weather to stay around were it is now for another 3-4 weeks

I got some real cool cuttings at the auction. All were on my wish list.

Made a loose mix of fine pine bark, perlite and peat moss - equal proportions. Put them them in a plastic box with 1" of moist sand at the bottom, Covered the box with a piece of plexiglass. The mix is damp but not wet. I'm seeing condensation on the interior of the plexiglass so the humidity seems good.

Given that these cuttings were done at the beginning of November, how long until I get some nicely rooted plants? Hopefully the weather remains warm for the next 30+ days.
You should try bottom heat in the winter see Amazon for Hydrofarm seedling mat about $22.00. This will keep box about 15 degrees above ambient temps. I root cuttings in about 6 weeks with 16 hours of fluorescent light

Rooting has a long established scale 1 thru 5. 1 nice plant I think I will take a cutting ( works every time 3 to 5 weeks). 5 greatest thing I have every seen I my life. ( lose all life in 1 week and you baby it for six months)
image.jpg
Blotched Lillie Stof.

You should try bottom heat in the winter see Amazon for Hydrofarm seedling mat about $22.00. This will keep box about 15 degrees above ambient temps. I root cuttings in about 6 weeks with 16 hours of fluorescent light

Thanks Kip - it makes good sense. Just ordered one, I'll keep it plugged in at night.

Thanks Kip - it makes good sense. Just ordered one, I'll keep it plugged in at night.
I should have mentioned some require a thermostat some will hold the temperature and they come in all sizes. You can get them from a farm supply up to about 4' x 6' to keep baby piglets warm as they like to keep them away from the mother except when nursing. All are waterproof and can be washed, they should used on a GFCI protected circuit

Kip - I have an inline GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). Placed the heating pad on top of wood to aid in insulation, leaving it on concrete not recommended, wastes heat heating the concrete. Looking through the top, it does not appear that any leaves have fallen off. I don't dare opening the plastic box, don't want the humidity to escape. Hopefully the additional heat will accelerate the root development.

Thanks to Kip's excellent recommendation my little cuttings will be toasty warm tonight. :Cold

Moose, the critical thing is to keep at least a 70 degree environment for cuttings to root. Absent having a heated greenhouse, using a soil heating coil or heating pad it one way to do it, as far as heating the bottom of the pots, and therefore the rooting medium is concerned. However, you also have to maintain an ambient (air) temperature of 70 degrees. Some years ago, I had the opportunity to get some cuttings about this time of year. I got a cold frame and used a coil to heat the soil beneath the bottom of the pots inside. I learned that cuttings in plastic pots were not good...use clay pots instead. The rooting medium will dry our faster, but they are the best. As always, never let the rooting medium dry out. The cold frame kept the ambient temperature at 70 degrees. I kept a grow light on above the cold frame. The only disadvantage of the cold frame was that it wasn't very high...you can't put really tall cuttings in it. Croton s vary considerably in their root development; some are very slow but others much faster. After rooting, the cuttings you put in potting soil also need protection from the cold. I just kept them in the cold frame until spring.

Good stuff Perry, I keep a small oscillating space heater in my misty. the pots if over watered can still get a little to cool. Steam heat would be the ticket if I could do it. But I could be getting a little a over the top are just plan crazy.

What to do with the rooted cuttings? I root them in potting soil. I never made a special mix. I discovered that if potting soil is not fresh (was in the opened bag for a while), the cuttings die due to fungus. I also can successfully kill the rooted ones :(. So, what to do next with these?
IMG_0933.JPG

I also have some rooted in the water. How to plant them? What soil to use?

Certainly glad I got the heating pad for my cuttings. Easier then schlepping them inside.
DSCN3212.JPG

I so want to check on the roots but I have resolved to wait until March

Certainly glad I got the heating pad for my cuttings. Easier then schlepping them inside.
View attachment 29911
I so want to check on the roots but I have resolved to wait until March

So much for resolve. Found some cuttings that had roots peaking out the drain holes. They got stepped up and are out of my cutting box. For the last three weeks I've been taking the lid off so the leaves could get some early morning sun. Replacing the lid at sun down. The cuttings getting acclimated to less then perfect humidity conditions. Only two left in the box. Certain they have some roots but waiting to see their presence at the drain holes.

Cuttings.JPG