How do you use K-Mag?

Kmag is a fertilizer therefore it should promote plant and root growth which should theoretically help cold tolerance.As far as application,now is a good time.With any fertilizer I would always apply too little rather than too much.

I've read a couple of times that K-Mag benefits crotons- cold tolerance, I think? Does it do anything else? How much and when do you apply to plants? I thank-you in advance for any insights/advice. :D

Anita - Potassium is a mineral that is hardly found to absent in most Florida soils. It is the third number found on fertilizer bags (example) 10-10-10. This example would denote that 10% of your fertilzer is potassium. It is also important to know your soil's Ph. If your soil is alkaline (7.1 and above), the use of Potassium oxide may severly limit the amount that gets absorbed by your plants roots. Potassium sulfate must be used. Therefore - looking at the fertilizer analysis on the package, you need to see what form of Potassium is present the fertilizer mix. Potassium may also be an important mineral that aids in root development.

Magnesium is another mineral lacking in many Florida soils. It is important to palms at least that the Potassium/Magnesium ratio be 2-1. These minerals are symbiotic in palms - too much or too little away from the ratio can cause a deficiency. There is no research on this balance with crotons, but my theorey is that it can't hurt 'um.

Lastly, it is my theorey that the use of K-Mag on in the ground crotons promotes superior color. I have no evidence to support this theorey. I do know that Randy (Palmisland) has been using K-Mag in his garden for quite some time. Seeing how healthy all his plants in his garden has sold me to start using it in the Moose Land. Randy's crotons are some of the most colorful I have seen. Again, it can't hurt to feed them a supplement of K-Mag in addition to your regular fertilizing regimen. The most important time to feed your garden K-Mag is Sept. 1st. This is the "hardening off" feeding for the ensuing cold months.

:eek: