1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Hoffmannii species, collected in Brazil

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by Donald Sanders, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Donald Sanders

Donald Sanders Member

When I was touring the Burle Marx garden during the recent biennial in Rio many of us were very impressed with a hoffmanii that looked like a (sp) Patagonia. I was fortunate to find a plant in flower, collected 2 seeds that turned out to be pods with about 60 seeds in each. I was surprised that
    most germinted and are growing beautiful.
    I would appreciate any information on growing hoffmanii. I know some folks in Cal are growing several varieties, I guess that there are many. Here in Hawaii I don't know anyone growing these. I can't wait until they are big and beautiful so I can spread them around.
    Anyone out there growing cyclanthus or asplundia species plants?
    Aloha, Don Sanders

2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

3. Donald Sanders

Donald Sanders Member

aloha Dean,
    I really think that Palmpedia is a wonderful site and I enjoy it very much. It was your posting of the thread on Patagonia that prompted me to respond. I do not have a camera but trust me; mature, the hoffmannii rivals the Patagonia and is very similar. If you want to try to grow some, call me at 324-1386 and I'll give you some to experiment with. I live in Holualoa near the K. Komo store.
    Hope you are well. Hope you are not too dry in Kaloko. I had 62 for a low the other night. Winter is on the way!
    Aloha, Don

4. Dypsisdean

Thanks Don,

I'll give you a call one of these days and come check things out. I'll see when the girlfriend has a day off, because I know she always enjoys seeing out of the ordinary plants.

5. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Can I come?:(

6. Dypsisdean

You're always welcome.

7. ariscott

ariscott Active Member

so, did you take photos, Dean??? I can see...

Regards, Ari :)

8. Dypsisdean

Haven't gone yet. When I go there, I will take some. Just for you. :)