1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Help with unknown Crotons in my garden.

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by donroberth, Jul 17, 2011.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

Help with ID’s please. Foto #001: New (to me) “Thai Rocio type” Croton that has appeared in the nurseries that I frequent in my area. Foto #002: Close-up of leaf color, shape and petiole.

Foto #003: Both of the cultivars in question. In the foreground is the one in question and in the back-round is the most common in this area that I’m calling Thai Rocio. Foto #004: Close-up of its leaf color, shape and petiole. Who’s who and what’s what?

Attached Files:

2. donroberth

Foto #5: I can’t tell the difference between Royal Horseguard and Mrs. Snyder’s Disraeli. Which one do I have in my garden (unknown cultivar on left side of pic)? Foto #006: Close-up of its leaf color, shape and petiole.

Foto #7: This purple plant was sold to me as a Croton…the nursery guy was adamant that it was a Croton! They only cost me 1 dollar apiece so I bought the last 2 he had and decided to ask the ICS membership what in the world it is. Is this a Croton or other? Foto #8: Close-up of leaf color, shape and petiole. Many thx…Robertico in Costa Rica.

Attached Files:

3. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

Hi Robertico,
    Nice plants!
    The purple one is Graptophyllum pictum, often called Jamaican croton, but it is not a Codiaeum kind of croton...

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Robert - that looks the closest to a Royal Horseguard as seen in Crotons of the World in my opinion. I have never personally seen a Royal Horseguard and I suspect it is a very rare cultivar. Exceptionally pretty plant, wish I had one in my garden! :cool:

Thank you for sharing. :)

5. donroberth

Moose Knuckle and Crotonolist...many thx for your constructive comments regarding the ID's I requested in my thread. I hope more members chime in especiallly re:Thai Rocio Crotons in my garden.

6. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Robert,

The last two pic's in your first post ( w/ orange), are Rocio here in the trade, The one w/ red leaves I don't know. Rocio does very well in the ground here and my plant is now 3' tall. Loves some good sun, partial shade here. Thanks for sharing.
    Jeff