Help ID a recent cutting

zimmy71

13/03/11
First off I want to say that I am new to the croton world and somewhat new to this forum. I was bit by the croton bug and now I can't stop looking for more crotons to add to my garden. Last month I had the chance to stop by Jeff Searles nursery to pick up a croton that my wife wanted at his past plant sale. While I was there Jeff was kind enough to give me a crash course on crotons from how to propagate them to how some people cross pollinate their crotons. One thing he mentioned was keep an eye out for any unusual new shoots. Every morning I pass a cluster of mammys on the way to my sons school. This week I have noticed an unusual shoot coming from one of the mammys. The leaves are bigger, longer and barely curl like the other plants. Can you tell me if it's something that was worth cutting or is it just a plain old mammy. Thanks!

IMG_0257.jpg

Zimmy - that looks interesting. A sport can often be unique. I believe that Pappy is a sport from Mammie. Pappy looks simular to your sport but may have some different characteristics or uniqueness.

Air layering or cuttings from a mother plant is the traditional method of retaining a certain croton cultivar's characteristics (most of the time). :confused:

Thank you for sharing! :)