Hector - need some info ...

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Jan 8, 2012.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Made the trek to Bullwinkle's place yesterday. He showed me a very pretty oak leaf croton I had never seen before. He told me that it was identified as a Hector.

Never heard of a Hector. Does anyone have any information on this one? :confused:

2. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Come on...really?

3. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Bob Alonzo was quoted mentioning "Hector" in Sarasota magazine article some years ago. Per Bob, this one is lost.

4. Crotonologist

Crotonologist Active Member

No mention of 'Hector' in this Sarasota croton article with Alonzo...
    http://www.sarasotamagazine.com/Articles/Past-Issues/2005/March-2005/Crotons-Come-Back.aspx

But there is a very interesting statement in the article...
    Andy Reasoner is quoted as theorizing "that many of the older varieties gradually died out because their coloration was more a result of unstable viruses than genetics."
    While viruses are associated with some types of variegation, I was not aware of any in crotons...
    Anyone know if there is any truth to this idea?

5. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Bob has mentioned Hector to me in passing. It's also discussed in a past Croton Society bulletin.

6. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Can we see a photo of this mysterious variety?

7. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

My camera battery needed charging when I was at Mike's place. :mad: Mike is having issues with his SD card, so we will have to wait. There was an older thread that Randy (Palm Island) posted an unknown that I thought resembled a Tiger. That looked like the croton Mike showed me as being Hector.

Both these guys get stuff from Jamaican Shirley in Davie. Perhaps it is the same croton. I know much of the weird unknown stuff that Randy has came Jamaican Shirley. :)

Hmmmmm ... :rolleyes:

8. keith

keith Active Member

Speaking of viruses, we dont know if crotons carry a virus. I know orchids can, and out in Arizona oleanders are being wiped out by leaf scorch which is spread by a bug and pruning tools, and here in Florida they catch whitches cane [broom] which is spread by pruning tools-no cure. I sterilize my clippers before going to the next plant. I think it would be wise if everyone practiced this.

9. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Ron, Can you find the thread you're referring to? I'm quite not sure which one you mean. :confused:

10. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

For a primer on plant viruses check out: www.dpvweb.net/intro/index.php or just Google plant viruses. Lots of the little buggers out there and another great project for a doctoral dissertation or some post doc work.

11. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

My mistake Randy, sorry. It was not you, it was Bren. That is what happens when you go by memory rather than searching first. I found it in Bren's "Coloring up" thread. :eek:

It does not resemble Mike's (Bullwinkle) plant. Here are the reposting of Bren's photos of an unknown that I thought looked like "tiger stripes". I gotta steal from Phil ... "onward through the fog". :eek:

Attached Files:

12. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I really wish that Mike could get his camera issue resolved. :rolleyes: Would be great to get a photo of Hector for all to see. :)

13. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Mike, don't forget ;)

14. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Hector??Orange and Black

Attached Files: