Hector - need some info ...

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Made the trek to Bullwinkle's place yesterday. He showed me a very pretty oak leaf croton I had never seen before. He told me that it was identified as a Hector.

Never heard of a Hector. Does anyone have any information on this one? :confused:

No mention of 'Hector' in this Sarasota croton article with Alonzo...
http://www.sarasotamagazine.com/Articles/Past-Issues/2005/March-2005/Crotons-Come-Back.aspx

But there is a very interesting statement in the article...
Andy Reasoner is quoted as theorizing "that many of the older varieties gradually died out because their coloration was more a result of unstable viruses than genetics."
While viruses are associated with some types of variegation, I was not aware of any in crotons...
Anyone know if there is any truth to this idea?

My camera battery needed charging when I was at Mike's place. :mad: Mike is having issues with his SD card, so we will have to wait. There was an older thread that Randy (Palm Island) posted an unknown that I thought resembled a Tiger. That looked like the croton Mike showed me as being Hector.

Both these guys get stuff from Jamaican Shirley in Davie. Perhaps it is the same croton. I know much of the weird unknown stuff that Randy has came Jamaican Shirley. :)

Hmmmmm ... :rolleyes:

Speaking of viruses, we dont know if crotons carry a virus. I know orchids can, and out in Arizona oleanders are being wiped out by leaf scorch which is spread by a bug and pruning tools, and here in Florida they catch whitches cane [broom] which is spread by pruning tools-no cure. I sterilize my clippers before going to the next plant. I think it would be wise if everyone practiced this.

My camera battery needed charging when I was at Mike's place. :mad: Mike is having issues with his SD card, so we will have to wait. There was an older thread that Randy (Palm Island) posted an unknown that I thought resembled a Tiger. That looked like the croton Mike showed me as being Hector.

Both these guys get stuff from Jamaican Shirley in Davie. Perhaps it is the same croton. I know much of the weird unknown stuff that Randy has came Jamaican Shirley. :)

Hmmmmm ... :rolleyes:

Ron, Can you find the thread you're referring to? I'm quite not sure which one you mean. :confused:

Ron, Can you find the thread you're referring to? I'm quite not sure which one you mean. :confused:

My mistake Randy, sorry. It was not you, it was Bren. That is what happens when you go by memory rather than searching first. I found it in Bren's "Coloring up" thread. :eek:

It does not resemble Mike's (Bullwinkle) plant. Here are the reposting of Bren's photos of an unknown that I thought looked like "tiger stripes". I gotta steal from Phil ... "onward through the fog". :eek:

Attachments

• Tiger Stripes.jpg
    Tiger Stripes.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Tiger Stripes 2.jpg
    Tiger Stripes 2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 123