1. Please enjoy this new off-topic forum. It is open to everyone. Common sense will prevail as to what can be discussed. If any discussion becomes too controversial or offensive to some, it will be moved to the private "Talk Story" forum.

If you wish to read the more provocative topics in the private forum, please click on the "Contact Us" link in the lower right corner of any page and request admission.

(You may dismiss this notice permanently by clicking on the small "X" - upper right)
    Dismiss Notice

Hayward has 10b winter!...shockingly mild.

Discussion in 'INTERESTING, INSIGHTFUL, PROVOCATIVE, EDUCATIONAL' started by Stan, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Our low bottomed out at 37f (WU, WC). I never thought we would have a solid 10b winter in my lifetime. Yesterday Hayward was second warmest city in the state at 62f. I'm giggly,I admit it. Croton 'Petra' is perfect. Maridol and Musa,Ensente are in green summer like leaf. Or San Diego winter green-lol.

I spent years building that dome over Hayward. It paid off! Heck,I'm a regular botanical Noah.:D

btw- I think San Francisco had a 11a winter..never went below 40 or even mid 40's in the Mission.

2. 37 degrees. It's cold, but it sounds soo nice. There's something so Christmasy, about low temperatures like that. My low temp last night was about 62 degrees, and I hated it. :( It had been getting down to about the lower 50s, which is good weather for campfires, hot cocoa and cuddling, but it's been warm lately. Grrrrr! :( So what is this 10b zone that you're talking about? Who made that zone? I only know the Sunset Gardening zones, and I figured that Hayweird is zone 15 in that system. Happy New Year! :)

3. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Its Sunset 17ish. A warmer summer then San Francisco. Yeah,I guess Hawaii is warmer. Your right!

4. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Btw, as you mentioned about Z15. Hayward and most of the bay area was a Z9b for decades. In 2012 the USDA changed the climate rating to 10A. So,as you can see,to have a bona fide 10b shows some serious climate changes very quickly. As science says- the poles and the western sides of continents are warming,changing faster.
    I've seen it. I've lived here since 1968.

5. So, you're worried about global warming? :)