Hawaiian Ti Growers

tropicalken

03/04/08
Dean, I was wondering if you had ever visited Fred Stone's property in the Hilo area? Our club did orders from him for a couple of years before he was injured by falling in a lava tube. He had wonderful new seedlings in addition to a huge area of ti planted in farm style.

Have you heard anything regarding his health? I know he was paralyzed by the fall.

The picture shows a group of Fred's seedlings back in 2012.

Ken

Attachments

• CIMG1265.JPG
    CIMG1265.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 186
No Ken, and I haven't heard the name either. But I don't get to Hilo all that often. And when there, for not that long either. Usually over for a quick visit, or to pick up some plants, then back on the road.

Thanks a lot for the info. I will definitely follow up on it.

Edit: Just checked the website, and he has a nice collection - also a lot of other "stuff." We will have to pay him a visit soon.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the info. I will definitely follow up on it.

Edit: Just checked the website, and he has a nice collection - also a lot of other "stuff." We will have to pay him a visit soon.

It's difficult to get to his place since a lot of the roads are not labeled well. You have to drive slowly since the roads are not paved, they are just covered with gravel. He has about four Dobermans but they are no problem in his presence. He had a lot of acreage when I was there last year and I've heard he's expanded it quite a bit. The ti canes you see on the internet are just a fraction of what he has. The other main plants he grows are heliconias and different types of gingers. He is very organized and his set up is wonderful to see.

Another grower you should check out when you in Oahu is Waiahole Botanicals. They are on the main road by the ocean fifteen minutes or so north of the Liki Liki Hwy. They have an assortment of ti plants for sale that I have not seen elsewhere. The nursery is owned by the Miranda family and two brothers and a sister operate it. They also do extensive breeding and are constantly coming up with new varieties.

www.waiaholebotanicals.com

In Waimanalo there are many nurseries that carry ti plants. There is one that is almost all ti plants just off the main highway on Flamingo Road. Farther up the street where the mountains start is David Yearian's garden, which is full of ti plants. He also sells, but his canes are pricey. He is the guy that Frank Brown dedicated his ti book to.

Here are some of the varieties carried at Waiahole Botanicals. He does mail order for larger orders. Our group did an order from them for our June meeting.

http://waiaholebotanicals.com/tiplants.htm Click on 2011 Cordyline pdf to bring up several pages of pictures. I tried to paste the pictures in this message, but they didn't go through. The pictures are just the tip of the iceberg as far as the ti material they have.

I'm in Keaau. I have about 70 Ti varieties for sale. There's a couple of Ti collectors I know around here that have quite large collections in addition to the ones mentioned.
vintagegreenfarms.com