Handkerchief Trees

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by Marie Nock, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

There are a number of trees referred to as handkerchief trees because of the look of the flush of new leaves. Two of ours are displaying their handkerchiefs now, Browneopsis ucayalina and a Maniltoa with a pink flush.

DSC_0018.JPG DSC_0035.JPG

kwtimo likes this.
  2. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Wow, very cool, Marie, especially the one with the red and green pattern. Thanks for sharing!

3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the pics Marie. I never get tired of seeing a nice Browneopsis leaf. Mine are still "smallish" - so I don't get the opportunity to see them too often yet.

4. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Very, very nice, Marie. :) Is that Maniltoa grandiflora or another species? If I could plant Browneopsisis, Brownea or Amherystia successfully here in Key West, I would most certainly be doing that. My "soil", however, is not agreeable at all to them. I could only plant these in seriously raised beds wtih any degree of success:( . Thank you for sharing these pics.

5. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Tim, it's Maniltoa lenticellata. The flush on grandiflora is a creamy white.