Halgrim's Bob Alonso

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Marie Nock, Apr 3, 2017.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

I was working with some crotons today that hadn't had attention in too long and made a wonderful discovery. I found a plant of Halgrim's Bob Alonso that I didn't even remember having. It must have come from Johnny Shelton some time ago. I checked the wiki and it's not there Anyone else growing it?

Halgrims Bob Alonso.JPG Halgrims Bob Alonso 2.JPG

2. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Marie, here is what I for from Ron Parlett as Bob Alonso last year. Definitely a different plant. 20170404_152216_HDR.jpg 20170404_152157.jpg 20170404_152206_HDR.jpg

3. Marie Nock

Tim, do you know who the hybridizer of your plant was? It's very nice!

4. Judy Glock

Judy Glock Active Member

There is a picture of Bob Halgrim's Bob Alonzo in the Sept. 2005 croton newsletter. That particular newsletter featured Bob Halgrim's crotons. Marie's cultivar more closely resembles the picture.

annafl likes this.
  5. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Hi Marie, I'll have to contact Ron Parlett and see what he knows about the plant. I'll contact you once I hear back from him.

6. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

They both look like the same plant to me with different light conditions, no? Please post anything you find out here and let me know whether this one should be posted in the wiki. Thanks!

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

I agree with Anna,these are probably the same plant

8. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Suggest you wait and see if any other good photos show up. A statistical sample of one is usually not very representative.

9. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

I heard back from Ron Parlett yesterday. He said that there are indeed two different plants carrying the Bob Alonso name. He also suggested that the Halgrim's Bob Alonso was a much older plant. I'm waiting for additional info on the source of origin for the "newer" Bob Alonso. I'll keep you posted.

10. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I keep seeing Alonso and Alonzo. What is his correct spelling- anyone know for sure?

11. Marie Nock

I just checked the dedication in Frank Brown's book - it's Alonzo. My bad.

annafl likes this.
  12. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

I heard back from Ron Parlett again. His response to my inquiry was this:
    "As it turns out, the plant we all have is called Bob Alonzo. The hybridizer was Halgrim himself. Marie's plant is the same. Either she added Halgrim's name in front of it, or the person she got it from did. Now there was another plant called Bob Alonzo, hybridized by the Renfroe of Ft. Myers. Few, if any, ever got it cause he would horde his seedlings. He even named one for me, but all I ever got was a picture of it."
    Thanks, Ron, for the info! This should clear things up on this particular plant.

13. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

If you look at both plants in "black & white", they do look the same.

kwtimo likes this.
  14. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks so much, Tim, so is it ok with all of you if I put it in the wiki as Bob Alonzo and mention Halgrim was the hybridizer? I also think both plants are the same, just different lighting conditions. I'll put both in. This was so good to find out a little about an old plant! Please, if anyone has other plants that should be in the wiki, please post a photo so we can do it. Thanks!

15. keith

keith Active Member

I think anna is right, the same plant- just different light. When I first got Halgrims Bob Alonzo years ago, it looked like Tims picture. That plant died, but Bob Alonzo gave it back to me and it looks like Maries plant. There is a Renfroe Bob Alonzo [ I have it ] And they named one after Ron, but I never got that one.

annafl likes this.