Golden Glow or Johanna Coppenger ???

Emmylou

22/05/12
We always thought it was Golden Glow, but have been told by a couple of people recently that it's really Johanna Coppenger. What do you think? Marnie

Golden Glow 1.jpg
Golden Glow 3.jpg

Thank you Phil. I'm still a little confused because the picture in Dr. Brown's book (Page 108) shows GG with a yellow mid rib. Am I missing something? Marnie

You are so right. The photo of JC by Mike Harris looks just like mine. Thanks so much. Don't know why I didn't go there first. I'm still pretty new at this, but I'm learning. Thanks again, Marnie

Golden Glow and Johanna Coppinger are so similar, it would be very hard to distinguish from a distance. I have what was reportedly Golden Glow. Now over time I've got the band running down the mid-rib. Marnie and I were discussing this characyeristic this evening. When all is said and done, it really does not matter - both are beautiful whatever they are called.

Onward through the fog ...

Anna - that plant came from a huge croton at an old home in Coral Gables. There were two different sports on it, One looked like Reliant (Reliance), the other was yellow. The main plant was thought to be Golden Glow. I made a mess of air layers, the house was abandoned - no one to ask permission. Of all the "Golden Glow" air layers made, I kept the one that had the most intense colors. Your plant is an air layer of the plant I kept.

Golden Glow, Johanna Coppinger & Reliant (reliance?) supposedly all came from the same batch of seeds. They are all closely related. All I can tell you is that big old momma plant was doing a lot of morphing.

Thanks for your pictures Tim. I think the general concensus is that we have a beautiful Johanna Coppenger. (I love them both so would be happy either way.) It's such a bright and lively plant. Thanks again, Marnie