1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Gold Dust Look-alike?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by ScotTi, Sep 19, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Is there such a Croton? I have watched this Croton at a Nursery since last fall. The leaves are the same shape as GD but smaller. The leaves seem to have a softer texture. The name they have on it is Salt and Pepper.

2. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Which nursery Scott?

3. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

If it is just a G.D no big deal ( I do not have one). I went by and purchased it. Here are the pics, leaf(R) compared to neighbors GD(L) . Bren, purchased at Dondro Gardens in Oldsmar.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      212.9 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      146.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      92.1 KB
      Views:
  4. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Scott, to my newbie eye, looks like gold dust but yours that you bought has seen more sun. Smaller leaves and more yellow as a result

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Bren, That was my thinking last fall when I first saw it. The lady pointed out the thinner leaf thickness, smaller leaf and the more yellow and it was named Salt & Pepper. I really was thinking the lady was trying to make a sale. I have watched this plant for 10 months really expecting it to change and look like the other GD growing along side it at the nursery. The plant was growing in a bright light area, with little or no direct sun by others marked Gold Dust. The ones marked as GD look like my neighbors GD. The pot contains 3 bushy plants and I will divide to make 3 plants to be planted in the Dream Garden in the Spring.