Gold Dust Look-alike?

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
Is there such a Croton? I have watched this Croton at a Nursery since last fall. The leaves are the same shape as GD but smaller. The leaves seem to have a softer texture. The name they have on it is Salt and Pepper.

If it is just a G.D no big deal ( I do not have one). I went by and purchased it. Here are the pics, leaf(R) compared to neighbors GD(L) . Bren, purchased at Dondro Gardens in Oldsmar.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 122
Scott, to my newbie eye, looks like gold dust but yours that you bought has seen more sun. Smaller leaves and more yellow as a result

Bren, That was my thinking last fall when I first saw it. The lady pointed out the thinner leaf thickness, smaller leaf and the more yellow and it was named Salt & Pepper. I really was thinking the lady was trying to make a sale. I have watched this plant for 10 months really expecting it to change and look like the other GD growing along side it at the nursery. The plant was growing in a bright light area, with little or no direct sun by others marked Gold Dust. The ones marked as GD look like my neighbors GD. The pot contains 3 bushy plants and I will divide to make 3 plants to be planted in the Dream Garden in the Spring.