Ginger

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by ScotTi, Jun 14, 2014.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Peacock Gold. Img_5513.jpg Img_5517.jpg

Ninja likes this.
  2. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

O0-la-la I have not seen that one before. I have a few that may interest you - but no idea if they are common or not. I'll get a pic or two when I get a chance.

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

The flowers are a one day deal, but the good news is that the flowers keep coming. The Jungle Gold will flower for a few weeks and the foliage will be around for its show a few months. The Jungle Gold and Pink Lace just returned from the rest a couple weeks ago. This was my first year of growing these two and I thought they were dead. Pink Lace-
    Img_5519.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2014
  5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

This Peacock Ginger grows like gangbusters and returns early in the spring and will flower most of the summer. Img_5521.jpg Img_5523.jpg

kwmarko and Ninja like this.
  6. Dypsisdean

A ginger that is never lacking in color. It gets the award for the longest lasting flower in the garden. I don't know what it is, or even remember where we got it.

But I don't think it has been touched in 3 years. As you can see if you look closely, it appears to have 3 stages of flowers - really old, and almost all color gone(2-3 yrs old), old, those starting to lose color (1-2 yr. old), and the new ones staring - small and bright at the moment - destined for a long life.
    IMG_1515PT.jpg IMG_1516PT.jpg

Ninja and ScotTi like this.
  7. Dypsisdean

Here is one called Raspberry Yogurt - an attractive bush with interesting flowers. But the main attraction is the foliage. An easy grow, as are most Gingers.

IMG_1522PT.jpg IMG_1523PT.jpg
    IMG_1524PT.jpg

ScotTi likes this.
  8. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Very nice Dean! Thanks for the pictures.

9. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Curcuma Ginger Img_5710.jpg

Ninja likes this.
  10. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here is a white Curcuma. Img_5708.jpg

kwmarko and Ninja like this.
  11. Dypsisdean

Not sure what kind of Ginger this is - maybe someone knows.
    IMG_1537PT.jpg

12. Does anyone know where to get turmeric plants, on the island of Hawaii? Turmeric is related to ginger, but it doesn't taste like ginger. If you haven't tried turmeric, I recommend that you do. It tastes like a blend of mild black pepper with hints of cool mint. It is not hot or spicy, but rather sophisticated. There is even a Lebanese coffee cake recipe that calls for turmeric. I didn't have the ingredients for the coffee cake, so I made cinnamon toast with turmeric and cinnamon. I used twice as much turmeric as cinnamon, because cinnamon is stronger than turmeric. And of course I used butter and honey on the toast along with it. The taste was very exotic and different, but clearly very sophisticated and snobby. Turmeric was one of the original canoe plants, brought over by the Polynesians to Hawaii. But I've never seen it here. If you know where to get it, please let me know. http://www.canoeplants.com/olena.html

13. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

Try Plant Group Hawaii in Hilo. They grow at least 6 different Curcumas which are in the tumeric family.

14. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Dean, your pic looks very much like what I know as Burbidgea scheizocheila or "Voodoo Flame Ginger". They are quite cool indeed when planted in groupings and full of bloom, which for me is once a year of a period of months in the spring.

15. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

You can check for the root of Turmeric in a Indian Grocery Store and even Heath Food Stores that sell fresh produce. Many years ago I grew Turmeric from a root purchased from a Health Food .

16. Marie and Scott, thank you. :)

17. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

That looks a lot like what I see in photos planted all over Balboa Park- Torch Ginger?

18. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

wow,I forgot about those and that family. I had quite a few to take care of as part of a job. Hadn't heard or seen of them in near a decade or more.

19. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Zingiber zerumbet (Shampoo Ginger / Pinecone Ginger) Img_6913.jpg

20. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

I just recently found out to my surprise, that home depot here in key west carries curcumas similar to ScoTti's post #9 and#10 for only about a month while blooming in april or may.... they have in white and just a blushed pink....
    So, soon will see if they get them again this year..

And regarding the large sprawling types, that tend to take over... thought I'd share pics of one that has 5 or six bloom spikes per flower... and they seem to last forever!!! In the background os a fruiting calabash tree.... 20141220_135107.jpg

Attached Files:

21. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

Regarding my post above, zoom in on the calabash, and you'll notice there are many fruit on the tree limbs.
    I never realized there were two types of fruit, one beind oblong (as in the picture...) AND the completly round one, which doesn't readily fruit as much..... I never realized this, so thought I'd pass it along....... mark

22. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

20150611_105752.jpg 20150611_105730.jpg 20150611_105742.jpg

kwtimo likes this.
  23. Dypsisdean

Cool Tim - that's a nice one that I haven't seen before.

24. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

That's beautiful, Mark. Thanks for showing us.

25. kwmarko

kwmarko Active Member

Just wanted to post a couple more pics of the Curcuma longa (I believe it's longa). But my transplanted hers several seasons ago, and she said the rhizomes were white in color rathere than the orange which you see in
    whole food markets...... anyone have any info? Could there be different cultivars of the same species? 20150616_115602.jpg 20150616_142113.jpg

Attached Files: