Getting colors on StopLight

RonDEZone7a

02/07/09
Does Stoplight need a lot of sun to develop colors? Mine is with all my other crotons, some of which have great coloration, but it has been staying very dark green.

My Stoplight is the dark green one in the lower right of this photo.
P1030083.jpg

Yet a few feet away I have these colors on my Gloriosa (or is it Norma), which gets about the same amount of sun (in fact, possibly less):
P1030081.jpg

(I purchased the above Gloriosa/Norma at my local ACME in 1982!)

Ron, I also have a Stoplight that just will not color up and yet the other Crotons growing along side have good colors. :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_5285.jpg
    IMG_5285.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 140
Ron,

Is it definitely Stoplight? I mean it looks like it, but just making sure. Sometimes, it's just an fluke that you get a off-color croton and it just never will color up like others. Give it 2-3 years, if it dosen't color up, I would toss it.

Your other plant is Norma.

Looks like Stoplight to me. Given your growing conditions, it may take much longer to color up than its cousins down south. It sometimes takes two - three years down here so I would give it at least 5 more years to color up. :)

You are correct !!! My crotons have been inside for 2 weeks already... and they won't be outside again until early May 2012. So there won't be much chance for them to color up in the full sun for a while - though I get some sun in my sunroom in the winter.