Funky Funky Foliage Hibiscus

Discussion in 'HIBISCUS HAVEN' started by Ninja, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

Who doesn't love unusual varieties of plants - hardly anyone knows the variety of leave shapes hibiscus can have. Unfortunately I don't have too many special foliage hibiscus yet - I have two european varieties with that tendency and recently I managed to get HVH's Creme de Cacao.
    Never the less, my biggest bush who is funky-leaved has been very active in the past, so I have a collection of funky-leaved seedlings (I'm eagerly waiting for blooms....!!!)
    Here are some of them:
    DSC06510.JPG DSC06511.JPG DSC06512.JPG
    And here's the mother of all that funk:
    DSC05779.JPG

putu enjula likes this.
  2. putu enjula

putu enjula Well-Known Member

Wow the mother plant is huge!!
    Those leaves are really cool... Hopefully the flower will be too!

3. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

yes, the mum is a monster. I pruned her twice 'recently' - once in autumn, then around christmas or so. she spent her time growing right back so far and will be starting to bloom within the next days. I hope I can make more crosses with her. So far I had no blooms of those funky-half-fancy seedlings, I'm dying to see them but all they do so far is grow! (or in case of the runts - nothing)

4. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

haha, a couple of days ago a police-helicopter came by and hovered quite some time over our balcony.... you think that was because of all the pot-shaped hibiscus????

Dypsisdean likes this.
  5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I'll bet it was. Do you suppose your flat stands out from the rest when viewing from the air? It sounds as if it may be a lot greener than the rest.

6. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

I have Cranberry Hibiscus (Hibiscus acetosella). It is edible...
    Cranberry hibiscus.jpg .

7. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

oh cool, I never heard of that one! I recently bought hibiscus sabdarifa, which looks funky and is the hibiscus variety you can make tea from. looks as though it's shutting down :( maybe it's getting to cold for that one now.

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Interesting and impressive distinct leaf shapes I've never encountered on a Hibiscus! Lurking

9. Ninja

Ninja Well-Known Member

funny thing about funky foliage hibiscus - they change leaf-shape depending on whether they are just growing (funky leaves) or blooming (=> normal leaves).
    I'm reposting my funky seedling here to follow up, the leaves have changed to normal now that it's blooming
    CGLavender_x_IceFairy_2014_1b.JPG

putu enjula likes this.
  10. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

IMG_0923.JPG IMG_0930.JPG
    Here is an update on Cranberry Hibiscus (how it looks now). I do not know how to trim it yet.

putu enjula likes this.
  11. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

And this I was given last Tuesday. Hibiscus vine. Never heard about this one before. Supposedly very easy, with roots, but didn't look well after a day in the bag. I planted it but I do not have much hope. The leaves are maple type again.
    IMG_0931.JPG

putu enjula likes this.
  12. putu enjula

putu enjula Well-Known Member

image.jpg Obviously I don't know how to trim ours!

Pix likes this.
  13. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

It is beautiful and low to the ground, i like it:). I was given 3 cuttings, all of them rooted, and now I have 3 long stems. I cut one in half to see what it does. It was a pity to cut all of them because a lot of buds were developing. How do you keep yours low?

14. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I encountered the Hibiscus acetosella 'Mahogany Splendor' and of course 2 of them followed me home from the garden center.
    pizap.com14518692140661.jpg

15. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Scott, is that different from what Angela posted above?

16. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Dean, It may be the same. The tag states this ones average size is 36-60" H x 24-30" W. The foliage grabbed my attention so I thought I would give them a try.