From my garden

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by annafl, Jul 26, 2014.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I've been making excuses for a long time (ahem, Jeff). Recently I thought I'd wait till fall to post photos of my crotons since they'd have a little more size and hopefully more color than the green and yellow of new growth that most have right now. However, I just felt like it today, so here goes.

Attached Files:

Kingdavid and Moose like this.
  2. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Weismanii from Randy has tripled in size since Randy gave it to me. It is more yellow than his, but it gets a lot of sun. I hope you can see some of the little thumbs on the sides of some leaves.

Attached Files:

3. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Last, but not least my tiny Gonzales. This little plant's trunk is about the diameter of a pencil, but it doesn't stop it from producing beautiful color. The red quill is putting out a lot of growth now. I can't wait till it gets more color.

Red Quill.JPG Gonzales.jpg

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

WootWOW ,looking great Always love Playboy:):)

5. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

Your Croton garden has really come along...very, very nice!!! P.S... the Fishbone is a real looker. :GardenLove

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  6. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks Mike and Robert. Robert, the Fishbone came from Phil. I love this plant. Easy and always looks great.

7. Kingdavid

Kingdavid Esteemed Member

what kinda light is your Gonzales growing in ??? all plants are wonderfull looking

8. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks, David. Gonzales has strong filtered light (through an oak) for about two hours of the day. I think I tend to push my plants with too much sun. What happens sometimes, is like the Weismanii- instead of the nice creams like Randy's, mine is more yellow. I still love the plant, just wish I'd planted it in less sun like he did. Other times the leaves on plants aren't as big with a lot of sun, but I prefer the colors to the leaf size in most cases, I guess.

9. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Just a few more: Congo has a lot of yellow right now, but eventually, all that yellow will turn into intense red. Don't know why this plant isn't used more. Very easy and in my opinion, very striking.

Attached Files:

10. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Beautifully grown.:p

Your Mona Lisa's perfect.

11. kurt decker

kurt decker Well-Known Member

really nice well grown plants, anna. the mona lisa is really happy. that plant doesn't really like to be disturbed much, let it be for a couple more years and it will really color up. it is perfect so far.

12. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks, Randy and Kurt. About 7 or 8 years ago I got two Mona Lisa rooted cuttings from Ricky. I had heard this cultivar likes shade, so I planted them both side by side with only mild sun exposure. The first photo below is one of the plants in the original spot. You can see how much it's grown in all those years. About a year and four months ago I decided to move one of them to several hours of full summer morning sun and filtered afternoon sun. the second photo shows how much the plant has grown and prospered in the last year and a half with a lot of sun. It was actually the smaller of the two plants when it was transplanted. I think it's a fallacy that Mona Lisa prefers shade. In my yard it much prefers high light. Mona Lisa- moderate shade.JPG Mona Lisa- Several hours of sun.JPG

Kingdavid likes this.
  13. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

I do not have any of those:(. Anna, your pictures are great! And all are properly named! Now I have “ANA” folder inside my “CROTON” folder to save your pictures. …Sometimes I forget that I am just doing my landscaping and I would better have more of the same ones…I am getting greedy and I want them all.
    I am just afraid I may lose them all one day in my 9b…

14. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Beautiful plants, Ana! How's the palm collection coming along?

15. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Hi Jeff, just back from vacation. Thanks! My palm collection is expanding and I'm excited about both the palms and crotons, but especially the crotons;).

Kingdavid likes this.