From my garden

annafl

Esteemed Member
I've been making excuses for a long time (ahem, Jeff). Recently I thought I'd wait till fall to post photos of my crotons since they'd have a little more size and hopefully more color than the green and yellow of new growth that most have right now. However, I just felt like it today, so here goes.

Attachments

• Fishbone.JPG
    Fishbone.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Stained Glass.JPG
    Stained Glass.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Applause.JPG
    Applause.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Royal Flush.JPG
    Royal Flush.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 94
  • Prince of Orange.JPG
    Prince of Orange.JPG
    224.4 KB · Views: 72
  • John Bender.jpg
    John Bender.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 90
Weismanii from Randy has tripled in size since Randy gave it to me. It is more yellow than his, but it gets a lot of sun. I hope you can see some of the little thumbs on the sides of some leaves.

Attachments

• Playboy.jpg
    Playboy.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Weismanii.jpg
    Weismanii.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Flamingo.JPG
    Flamingo.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Cutler\'s Gulfstream.jpg
    Cutler\'s Gulfstream.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 90
  • MacKenzie.JPG
    MacKenzie.JPG
    316.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Flame.JPG
    Flame.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 84
Last, but not least my tiny Gonzales. This little plant's trunk is about the diameter of a pencil, but it doesn't stop it from producing beautiful color. The red quill is putting out a lot of growth now. I can't wait till it gets more color.

Red Quill.JPGGonzales.jpg

Thanks, David. Gonzales has strong filtered light (through an oak) for about two hours of the day. I think I tend to push my plants with too much sun. What happens sometimes, is like the Weismanii- instead of the nice creams like Randy's, mine is more yellow. I still love the plant, just wish I'd planted it in less sun like he did. Other times the leaves on plants aren't as big with a lot of sun, but I prefer the colors to the leaf size in most cases, I guess.

Last edited:
Just a few more: Congo has a lot of yellow right now, but eventually, all that yellow will turn into intense red. Don't know why this plant isn't used more. Very easy and in my opinion, very striking.

Attachments

• Mona Lisa.JPG
    Mona Lisa.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Compte de Germiny.JPG
    Compte de Germiny.JPG
    343.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Dreer No. 7.jpg
    Dreer No. 7.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Embassy.JPG
    Embassy.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Congo.JPG
    Congo.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
really nice well grown plants, anna. the mona lisa is really happy. that plant doesn't really like to be disturbed much, let it be for a couple more years and it will really color up. it is perfect so far.

Thanks, Randy and Kurt. About 7 or 8 years ago I got two Mona Lisa rooted cuttings from Ricky. I had heard this cultivar likes shade, so I planted them both side by side with only mild sun exposure. The first photo below is one of the plants in the original spot. You can see how much it's grown in all those years. About a year and four months ago I decided to move one of them to several hours of full summer morning sun and filtered afternoon sun. the second photo shows how much the plant has grown and prospered in the last year and a half with a lot of sun. It was actually the smaller of the two plants when it was transplanted. I think it's a fallacy that Mona Lisa prefers shade. In my yard it much prefers high light.Mona Lisa- moderate shade.JPGMona Lisa- Several hours of sun.JPG

I do not have any of those:(. Anna, your pictures are great! And all are properly named! Now I have “ANA” folder inside my “CROTON” folder to save your pictures. …Sometimes I forget that I am just doing my landscaping and I would better have more of the same ones…I am getting greedy and I want them all.
I am just afraid I may lose them all one day in my 9b…