For Ana

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Jerry Shilling, Jun 27, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Jerry Shilling

Jerry Shilling Well-Known Member

Enjoy

Attached Files:

2. Jerry Shilling

A few more...

Attached Files:

3. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Oh wow. Thanks so much, Jerry! How is it that all your plants are so gorgeous and so perfect? I know some of it is because of living in the keys, but there is a lot more to it too. Can you give us (me, at least), some cultural tips? The colors in your plants are so incredibly vivid and deep-hued. Is the first one a flame orange Rudy Bachman? I see some I recognize, but I also think I don't recognize some because the colors are more towards pink and orange than usual? Also, your plants are so dense and healthy looking. I wish I knew how you did it. Thanks again for showing us. I will have to go back and look at them a few more times.

Ana

4. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

The photos don't do these justice. Perfect, perfect, perfect conditions. Just beautiful Jerry.

5. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

What a treat to see these. I'm inspired to go fertilize and mulch. Thanks for sharing these beauties.

6. koki

koki Active Member

Great crotons. Love the Limelight. The last one looks like Bonita. Thanks for posting.

7. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

What beautiful and healthy crotons. In your second ( #2 ) post reading left to right...what's the name for the third (3) croton with yellow, green and red-ribbed center leaves. :confused: ???

8. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Great stuff Jerry. Obviously Rudy Bachman doesn't give you fits like it does me.

9. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Great looking crotons, Jerry. 2nd set, first pic: is that Nevilla?

10. Jerry Shilling

Thanks for the kind words.

When I retired a few years ago...it was tough. Then I discovered this colorful plant and it has become an obsession and a real joy for me. So crotons have become a full time hobby and I just love it. So if anything my plants really appreciate all the TLC I'm able to give them.

Sorry about the names: Rudy Bachman
    Tiger Eye
    Tortoise Shell
    Martha Brooks
    Old Legend
    Mosaic/Purity

The Moth
    Flamingo/Monarch
    Columbiana
    Inca
    Mona Lisa
    Limelight
    Bonita (from Judy who got it fom Koki)

11. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Jerry, your love for these plants is evident as is your TLC. Can you give us (me mostly), any cultural tips you've learned? Yes, I know your climate down there is closer to ideal for these plants, but I've seen crotons all along the keys, and although many look very good, none I've seen look as good as yours and the Glock's. You've got to have some tips?

Thanks for including the names. I'm still learning, obviously, and I don't often get to see out-of-the-ordinary cultivars, so putting names to visuals is very helpful for me.

12. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Absolutely stunning! And I have been to Jerry's many times. These pictures only show a fraction of their beauty compared to standing there in person. It's all about the climate.