Fishhook? Yellow Multicolor???

fawnridge

04/07/09
If this had the rest of the rainbow, it would be Multicolor. So, you could call this Yellow Multicolor, but that doesn't make much sense. I've been calling it Fishhook because of the hooked end.

fishook1.jpg

fishook2.jpg

Hey Ricky

You are correct in calling it Yellow multicolor. There are two forms of Multicolor as seen in Dr. Brown's book, page 78. It might be a sport of what we call Multicolr or the actual original.

It has a great characteristic that is not seen in other Codiaeum varieties. If you look on the underside of the leaf, the edging looks like it has been folded over and pressed with an iron!

There is also another similar croton that has some of the same characteristiscs, called Cobra. Dark purple leaf, almost black, with the 'hook' standing straifgt up, like a cobrahead.

Lee

Lee - But that name doesn't make sense. How can something be called "Multicolor" if it has only one color (other than green). I think "Fishhook" is a much better name. How do we vote on this? (Do we vote on this?)

Irregularis. Until I see an Irregularis next to a Yellow Multicolor and can distinguish a difference for myself, it's the same plant. This is just like the supposed difference between Major Dade and Lord Belhaven. Incidentally, Dr. Brown's old book incorrectly labels the Mutlicolor leaf photo as Irregularis. Throughout most the old book, Irregularis is erroneously described as the colorful rooster tail we now know as Multicolor. To add further confusion, it describes the yellow version of Irregularis as Prince of Wales. Per Bob Alonzo, the colorful rooster tail is Multicolor and the yellow-cream/green version is Irregularis. Prince of Wales (a rare plant) is a very unusual looking, long leaved yellow and green croton easily distinguishable from Irregularis.

Also, Dr. Brown's 1st book describes Irregularis as "Irregular shaped leaves, broader at the point, spotted yellow and red." It goes on to warn against confusing it with Amabile.