1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

First Air-Layer

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by palmisland, May 19, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

This air-layer is about 5 weeks old. The roots were already poking out of the foil, for first of the season:) Mama plant

Randy

Attached Files:

2. palmisland

Lots of roots already.:D

Attached Files:

3. irene_kingsley

irene_kingsley Active Member

Good Job!=)

4. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Randy,

Congrat's on your first airlayer. It is kind of neat when you finally remove it and get it potted up. A few more, and you can be considered a nurseryman then.:)

I've been putting them on my plants for the last two weeks. I have about 25 or so more to do and I'll be finished. Then the wait begins.

Let me ask you, what type of knife did you use? And did you have other airlayers to make?

Jeff

5. palmisland

Knife? I just scored the branch with a pair scissors & peeled the bark off. I've done 8 so far & have a few more to do. I was suprised how easy it was to do!:)

6. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Must be the season again... put about 25 air layers on today on the plants that survived the winter with lots of leaves. Still lots of sticks in the ground and in pots, but more and more are showing buds.

Air layering sounded a bit mysterious when I first heard of it. But after watching someone do it once, I've been at it since and have the brown juice-stained clothes to prove it. ...and then to find out that Chinese gardeners have been air-layering for some 3000+ years, long before Al foil, rubber bands, twist ties, Saran wrap, etc...

7. Central Floridave

Central Floridave Active Member

an even easier way to remove the bark is to use pliers. Simply apply the pliers with a gentle grasp and spin it around the branch. It removes the bark quickly and hassle free.