Finally some rain :)

Bullwinkle

Esteemed Member
17/11/10
After a rainy Dec and Jan we hit a pretty sustained dry spell for the past 2 months.Happily we picked up around 2 ins here last night in the Plantation desert.Plants should be happy

I was so excited to see this massive section of orange on the radar coming toward us with a schedule to start arriving at 8:30 am and rain most of the day. Well just our luck it all went out into the ocean just before it got to Vero Beach. We did have periods of very light rain on and off, but not enough to even penetrate through the trees in my shade gardens. If we could just get one good day of rain I would be so happy. Glad it helped some parts of Florida deal with this dry spell.

See rain gauge below.It has not stopped raining in 6 hours and my pool is now overflowing.When it rains it pours

Dew Point:
69 °F
Humidity:
98%
Precip Rate:
0.03 in/hr
Precip Accum:
6.48 in
Pressure:
29.79 in

I hope you did not have flooding problems, that would be the one thing worse than getting no rain. The pool overflowing does not sound like a good sign. Good luck.

It was ok just minor street flooding ,I always am happy when it rains heavily.6 inches of rain after a long dry stretch is actually ok.If it happened during our rainy time with high water tables that would not be great

5-6 inches here as well..pool full. A bit of standing water in two spots in the driveway.
Everything looked so nice when the sun emerged yesterday afternoon

See rain gauge below.It has not stopped raining in 6 hours and my pool is now overflowing.When it rains it pours :)

Dew Point:
69 °F
Humidity:
98%
Precip Rate:
0.03 in/hr
Precip Accum:
6.48 in
Pressure:
29.79 in
5-6 inches here as well..pool full. A bit of standing water in two spots in the driveway.
Everything looked so nice when the sun emerged yesterday afternoon

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Today was our major rain event, started at 6:08 and we have more on the radar headed this way. Good for the jungle bad for my tennis price you pay for the life we live. Two young volunteers soaking the rain.
image.jpg

Vero has been just north of most of the rain, so while areas to the south are getting flooded we had around a 10th of an inch the last two days. I don't think we got half an inch in the past two weeks. I am happy we are not getting flooded, because too much rain has done more damage to the gardens in the past rather than a lack of rain. Even with a small amount of rain the plants are glowing and since it is supposed to keep raining we will probably get enough for now.

We've got puddles this morning! Seems like it's either too little or too much. I hope this helps my crotons flush out and fill out. I've got to start feeling better about them soon. Where's the photos? Haven't seen any in a while.

These pictures remind me of May 2016 when we got 11 inches in 24 hours and I had sections of the garden under water for about a week. I hope George's gardens don't stay flooded long, because I lost several special plants from being submerged so long. We got a nice rain yesterday so I got lucky. Plants are looking great, with the exception of the plants that keep getting dug up by the family of armadillos living in my yard.

Karl we use cayenne pepper to ask them to move over to the neighbors lawn. We live on a dead end finger last of a group of about ten how they find there way to use I can't imagine.

This has been the driest spring/summer in memory for me in coastal Vero. Every time there is rain it goes to the west. I don't think we have had measurable rain in a month. I have crotons that I have had for 4 or 5 years and have never looked stressed that are dropping almost every leave. We have an irrigation system and I am hand watering almost daily but it is not making up for the lack of rain. The skies are so clear and the sun so intense that bromeliads I have had planted for years in the same spot are getting cooked. I am going to need to start moving them to more shade. It looked like this weekend we would finally get a good rain, but nothing more than a few showers that did not even wet the surface of the soil. My guess is when we finally get rain we will get flooded or I am going to need to switch to all desert plants. At this point I just want a couple of rainy days to bring the gardens back to life.

This has been the driest spring/summer in memory for me in coastal Vero. Every time there is rain it goes to the west. I don't think we have had measurable rain in a month. I have crotons that I have had for 4 or 5 years and have never looked stressed that are dropping almost every leave. We have an irrigation system and I am hand watering almost daily but it is not making up for the lack of rain. The skies are so clear and the sun so intense that bromeliads I have had planted for years in the same spot are getting cooked. I am going to need to start moving them to more shade. It looked like this weekend we would finally get a good rain, but nothing more than a few showers that did not even wet the surface of the soil. My guess is when we finally get rain we will get flooded or I am going to need to switch to all desert plants. At this point I just want a couple of rainy days to bring the gardens back to life.

I hear you. It seems the same here. Every time we think it's going to rain, it goes East! Really, really needing a good, soaking rain, and soon. I never hoped for a tropical depression before.

The rain finally found its way to eastern Vero Beach. It has been so long since we have had a soaking rain that it seemed strange to look out and see it actually pouring down and puddling up. I am excited to get a break from dragging the hose around and the plants should be very happy to get a proper watering.