1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Ferns on Palm Trunks

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by ScotTi, Oct 3, 2010.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

It is time to clean up some palms in the garden. Here is Livistona benthamii with ferns growing in the palm boots. I fear the fern will overtake the crown. Best to remove or will it be fine?

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      207.8 KB
      Views:
    • 019.jpg
      019.jpg
      File size:
      242.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Jerry@TreeZoo

Jerry@TreeZoo Well-Known Member

I would leave them alone but that is just me. It is a matter of what you think looks good. You can either pull them by hand or put a roundup solution on a sponge mop and climb a ladder.

3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I'm with Jerry. Unless you can't stand the look neither of those ferns will cause any damage, or "overtake" the crown. But I would certainly avoid any Round Up. Sponging it on up there would be a accident waiting to happen. It would be hard to hand sponge on them effectively anyway. That "sword fern" you can just grab and pull out easily if it is anything like what I have here - very few weak roots.

Personally I like it. However, with a prolonged dry spell they might start looking a little ratty. Right now, I like the look. You usually only see that look in the tropics.

Can you get up there anyway? How high is it?

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I like the look and will leave them be. Here is another little fern called the Resurrection Fern growing on a palm trunk. Often seen growing on the limbs of the Live Oak. First pic taken in its dry state of life. The second pic taken a few hours later of same fern after a little water.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      167.5 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      218 KB
      Views:
  5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Those are cool. I remember buying them as a kid in mail order.

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Here is another fern growing around my Butia.

Attached Files:

• 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      168.8 KB
      Views:
    • 024.jpg
      024.jpg
      File size:
      206.7 KB
      Views:
    • 025.jpg
      025.jpg
      File size:
      114.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Jim in Los Altos

Jim in Los Altos Member

Those ferns look beautiful in a tropical rainforest sort of way. I can't imagine them ever overtaking the palm's canopy. I grow bromeliads, succulents, and staghorn ferns in/on some of my palms.

8. Peachy

Peachy Active Member

In the rainforests in my part of the state, ferns, orchids and other ephytes grow up he trunks of trees and palms naturally. Often see olderCIDP as street trees with the trunks literally covered in ferns too. To me it looks pretty, its a natural occurance and does not harm the palms. My largest Roystonea (10 metres or so) is covered by syngonium, only the crownshaft stops it from being buried, but he is big healthy palm and no damage appears to be done even by this extreme.
    Peachy

9. Eriksji

Eriksji Active Member

I like the ferns myself. Butia with stag horn.

Attached Files: