Feb. Shots

Central Floridave

16/07/09
February is a horrible time for croton in my yard. Lost some and some survived and look to bounce back (knock on wood).

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 117
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 101
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 103
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 105
... one on the end doesn't look so 'magnificent', does it?...

Attachments

• c16.jpg
    c16.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 110
  • c15.jpg
    c15.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 83
  • c14.jpg
    c14.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 104
  • c13.jpg
    c13.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 94
No matter where I plant it. In the shade, full sun. Next to the house, in a container and brought inside during freezes...Picasso Paintbrush is the least cold tolerant of all of them. Zanzibar is a close second.

I don't think this one is coming back. I grow Picasso paintbrush as an annual!

Attachments

• c23.jpg
    c23.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 113
The second plant in post 5 sure has some funky coloration. I have the same luck with Picasso's paintbrush unless I haul it inside.

Dave,

Nice plants! I'm curious, what is the first croton in your post#4? Is it Rudy Bachman? And I agree, the paintbrush is a real wimp when it comes to cold, even this far south. Thanks for sharing.
Jeff

"second plant in post 5"

I found that one at HD last weekend. It may just be the very common petra croton and grown in low light conditions. it was a $1.50 in the house plant section. I'm hoping it is something else, but it caught my eye and at the price it is hard to go wrong!

"first croton in your post#4"

I'm sorry, the name escapes me. But it is a named one. I bought it off of Peters Crotons last year. It survived the winter. But, it is under heavy live oak canopy. I like it. It has very large leaves. I hope it makes it.

thanks for checking out the photos. I had some extra time today and figured I would run through the yard and snap some. I didn't take photos of the heavily burnt ones. For the past 15 years we have had mild winters and croton just grew right through the winter no problem. But, of course last winter really slowed them down. Then the two nights in December put another whammy on them. However, I'm calling that it is spring time. Done with winter! Still cool out, and that is nice. I love the free air-conditioning!

Dave, Do not give up on the P.Paintbrush just yet. Winter 09-10 killed my 2 plants to the ground. Both plants came back in June from the stems at the ground. This winter they look fine. Pics of these plants as of last weekend.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 92
I just found a label next to the croton and indeed it is a Rudy Bachman.

I have about 15 or so paintbrush scattered around. I hope they come back. Some still have some green on them. But...not counting on it!

ok, I'll see if I can get some photos in this week. The croton have grown some since Feb. Nothing too drastic as I get slow growth. I have a lot of clean up in the yard due to the non-named tropical system that plowed through here Saturday and Sunday. 50-60 mph wind gust made my live oaks shed. Maybe more sun will get to the croton now as most of them are under shade. 8 inches of rain has to help also! Now that the sun angle is coming over with a Southern exposure the croton will get more sun as well.