Father's Day / Columbiana Gold

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Jerry Shilling, Dec 31, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Jerry Shilling

Jerry Shilling Well-Known Member

This may have been posted earlier, if so I missed it. Anyway, Bob Alonso was pretty sure that what we are calling Father's Day is in fact Columbiana Gold. I think he said it is a sport of Columbiana. I have noticed that my F.D. is putting out a branch that looks like Columbiana. Jeff, Tim, Jim & Judy were present when this was brought up.

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Thanks Jerry,I had always suspected they were similar/same plant.As some branches of my Columbiana looks like Fathers Day and vice versa.

3. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Is Columbiana Gold the same as Columbiana? If not, does anyone have any photos?

4. Jerry Shilling

Hi Ana,

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this topic. Is Father's Day and Columbiana Gold the same plant?

Is Father's Day and Columbiana Gold part of the "Columbiana Complex" that I have seen posted before?

Bob Alonso was pretty adamant that the Father's Day he saw at the Glock's in December was Columbiana Gold. I will post pictures of my Father's Day/Columbiana Gold and Columbiana upon returning to the Keys this weekend.

Happy New Years!

5. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Happy New Year Jerry,

There may be something to this. I acquired my plant at a USF Croton Society sale many years ago labeled Columbiana. I later saw what the real Columbiana looked like and realized my plant was not. Years after that, I recognized my mystery plant labeled "father's day" at one of Jeff's sales. I went with that name as a placeholder for lack of calling it another unknown hybrid. It clearly resembles the real Columbiana but is much better looking.

Ray

6. Jerry Shilling

A very rainy Saturday in the Keys...love the rain. A good day to post some photos regarding the Columbiana Gold saga.
    First up is my Father's Day...orgin Jeff.
    Bob Alonso belleves this plant to be Columbiana Gold. This discussion took place on the same walk as the Coppinger Hybrid is actually Cutler's Gulfstream discussion. We took action on that one... the Columbiana Gold doesn't get a mention. ?

Oldest to Newest....June to Yesterday.

Attached Files:

7. Jerry Shilling

Here is my Columbiana,,,orgin Jeff. Both plants are in the same area getting identical light. Both plants went into the ground same time. At times these plants look very similar.
    But they are different in my opinion. However I can see FD being a sport of Columbian.

So is Bob correct...is Father's Day correct name, Columbian Gold...a sport of Columbiana?

Attached Files:

8. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

Jerry..I’ve been following your thread Father’s Day/Columbiana Gold very closely and with great interest. I hope that when it is all said and done a consensus is reached.

Attached please see four fotos of what I have in my garden and have been calling COLUMBIANA…now I’m not so sure! I plead guilty and throw myself on the mercy of the court (INT’L CROTON SOCIETY-LEARNED CROTON FOLKS) in order to I.D. my now dubious cultivar.

1. Close-up view
    2. Mid-range view
    3. Full view
    4. A CROTON from the same batch as above that I gave my son for his garden but now I'm not so certain! His home is located at a lower elevation (800 meters above sea level) and his garden is exposed to plenty of sun light as opposed to my ranch (1,500 meters above sea level), also with plenty of sun light.

Attached Files:

kwmarko likes this.
  9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Absolutely amazing colors there Bob!

10. Jerry Shilling

Thanks Robert for your input. Hopefully some of the experts will weigh in. There are differences between our two Columbiana's for sure.

11. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

SHAMELESS AND SELFISH PUSH! Jerry Shilling asks in his post, “I would like to know if “Father’s Day is a correct name, and/or is Columbiana Gold…sport of Columbiana”?

Why Selfish you say? …because Robertico would like to know what in the world does he have planted in his garden which also happens to be one of his favorites? :confused:

12. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

CAM00345.jpg CAM00346.jpg CAM00342.jpg CAM00345.jpg CAM00346.jpg CAM00342.jpg CAM00343.jpg
    Here's what I bought as Father's Day in one location in Key West (not Audubon House) Notice the nice air layer that I recently did.

kwmarko likes this.
  13. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Tim, the colors on that air layer are incredible!!! I think of FD as more bright tropical yellow and orange, but yours seems more pastel pinks, yellows and oranges. How much light does it get?

14. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Anna, it is pretty nice, thank you. This plant essentially gets no direct light whatsoever. It has been a slow grower for me too.

15. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I'm not so willing to accept the Columbiana Gold name. Fathers Day has been around for a few years and has been getting distributed. Then bam, a new "old" name is applied to this cultivar. No mention of this name in Exotica, Frank Brown's books, on this forum or any other source other than Bob.

Just my opinion.