Fastest growing cultivars

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Calling all Crotonheads : I am planning of more croton additions to my garden. Knowing which are the faster growing cultivars will help me to decide where to plant. Some areas may require a smaller aspect plant. I dont want to keep trimming back a vigorous grower if I can plant it in an area that could use a more robust croton.

Your experiences and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Ron. :)

Ron,

All of us here can throw in our favorites. There are so many that you can choose from.
Some of the more faster, maybe larger varieties are,

Diane
Stoplight
Thanksgiving
Charles Rutherford
Davis #7
Andreanum
Nestor
Buddy
And probably the fastest grower....Purity.

There are so many more also.

Jeff

Ray - Golden Glow is one of the slowest in my garden, almost as slow as Ram's Horn. I agree with Purity, though; mine went from a 6" cutting to 9 feet in less than 3 years. Yellow Excurrens is very fast and will take a lot of sun. Van Buren starts out very slow and then, once it gets over 2' tall, grows a foot a year. Eleanor Roosevelt is faster than FDR, which I find odd, but it seems that most of the yellow Crotons are faster than the reds.

Ricky, now I'm more convinced that your Golden Glow is something else. The leaves in your photo look much more interesting than a typical GG. MY GG grows like a weed and branches quite a bit. Many of the yellows are fast, I agree.