Fall Get Together

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Phil Stager, Aug 13, 2015.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Several threads have mentioned a fall get-together. Before we all go off on wild tangents, let's see what dates and weekends are already taken with plant sales, private or otherwise (e.g., Searle Sale, USF Fall Sale, anything at Fairchild, etc.) I hosted one some ten years ago and was getting ready host another when the November rains washed out everything. My preference is for October - still warm but not HOT, still enough daylight, less chance of cool WX or a washout.

So let's get this started and out of the fog: Jeff - when is your fall sale?

Pix likes this.
  2. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

The 2015 USF Fall Sale is Oct 10 & 11.

3. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Our upcoming Extravaganza Sale will be held on Oct. 2nd,3rd and 4th. Then on the 9th,10th and 11th. Anytime after that will be fine with me.
    Jeff

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

My vote is late,late Oct or early Nov.Jeff's sale usually falls over the first couple weeks in Oct and Nov has cooler weather with less chance of storms disrupting plans.Oct 31,Nov 7 or even Nov 14 would be great for me

5. Emmylou

Emmylou Active Member

The Ramble at Fairchild is Nov. 13, 14, 15th.

6. Phil Stager

OK, now we're getting somewhere. How does the very last Saturday in October, the 31st work, Halloween!

7. Bullwinkle

No issues with Halloween for me,let us have some more input.East Coast or West??

8. Jeff Searle

This is the Moose using Jeff's computer. Last weekend of October works for me. Is an auction being considered? If so, has a plant limit being considered?

Computer issues at the Moose Land. Should be getting resolved soon and will be back on the forum.

The Moose ;)

9. Phil Stager

I am willing to host at my place - approx. 250 varieties of crotons, 35 species of palms, 15 species of cycads, 8 kinds of bamboo and CAVEAT - not a whole lot of room for anything else. EZ access on and off I-275. If anyone else with more room wants to host, you're not going to hurt my feelings. Yes, definitely an auction! Too early to firm up much of anything else. Comments. suggestions, ..... speak up.

Bullwinkle likes this.
  10. Phil Stager

an added non-crotonic attraction is the U.A. Young cycad collection now at the Kopsick Palm & Cycad Arboretum on the waterfront here in St. Pete and the very rare cycads from the collection which are at Sunken Gardens.

11. Bullwinkle

Would love to see your garden again Phil,are there any gardens close by that might be willing to participate??I do not want to volunteer anyone's garden but perhaps you could make some quiet inquiries??I can think of many wonderful gardens up that way that we have not seen.

12. Phil Stager

13. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

As it stands right now, any of those weekends are good for me. Also, I'd love to see Phil's place again! That time of year is usually good weather-wise. Let's hear from others.

14. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

The dates so far are good for me also!

15. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

That day works for me

16. waykoolplantz

waykoolplantz Active Member

17. Bullwinkle

Mike,I am not sure if we have decided on the 31st yet,I still think Nov 7 is in play also,let us see what weekend has less conflicts

18. Phil Stager

November 7 is NFG for me - philatelic get-together in Sarasota; missed last year's.

Weather stats for St. Pete on 31-Oct as follows:
    Avg high - 79F
    Avg low - 68F
    11hrs and 5 min of daylight
    23% chance of precipitation

19. Jeff Searle

I was going to say, if I'm going to St Pete on my birthday (Nov. 7th ) to talk crotons AND look at a bunch of crotons...then I better come home with one mf'ing nice plant. Or two.....LOL!

kwtimo and Kingdavid like this.
  20. Pix

Pix Well-Known Member

I've just got so exited about this meeting! I can hardly believe it is possible! Phil, it is soo00ooo nice of you to offer! I could finally make it!...
    31 of October, please, please NailBiting
    We are going on cruise 7th of November :(

21. TikiRick

TikiRick Well-Known Member

Halloween isn't good for me. Have a houseful of guests. Isn't the following weekend the FTG Palm sale?

22. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Sunday November 1st (same date as last year!) Rick, bring a few guests?

23. Perry Edge

Perry Edge Active Member

October 31st at your place looks good. FYI, other non-croton attractions in the area are Sunken Gardens (admission fee) and the Florida Botanical Garden (free).

24. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Most folks come for the auction, the garden is secondary. Hey any excuse to get together works for me.

25. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Halloween works fine for me. Any excuse to get out of this town during Fantasy Fest is a good one. This place gets crazy!

26. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

So have we solidified dates and location? Just trying to plan ahead a bit.

27. Phil Stager

Halloween Day it is, 31-October 2015. We'll take of the other details later - food, how many plants in auction, who plans on attending, etc., etc.

28. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Do we have to come in a costume ? :p

29. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

Will you come as a moose?

30. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

I'll come as Rocky your little side kick

waykoolplantz likes this.
  31. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

:moosemanI can see it now... pizap.com14420101979041.jpg

waykoolplantz and Bullwinkle like this.
  32. Bullwinkle

What time are you thinking Phil??I will probably do a Plantation-Tampa-Gainesville-Plantation or Plantation-Gainesville-Tampa-Plantation trip depending on your start time with an overnight in either Tampa or Gainesville??

33. Phil Stager

I'm open for suggestions esp for anyone travelling some distance - and do we want an eating meeting of just light refreshments?

34. Bullwinkle

Light refreshments will be fine for me but either way is good,any start time after 10am works for me,I just need to know the time so that I can work out the trip details.

35. Phil Stager

Let's say start at 10am; auction at 11 am. No problem with early birds. or can bump it back an hour for anyone travelling from east coast

36. Bullwinkle

Sounds great Phil,I should have a few nice things for the auction including a few nice seedlings that I took layers from for the first time this summer.I will put up a some pics when I get a chance

37. Phil Stager

For those doing a bit of preliminary planning, my home address is:
    4184 51st Ave S
    St. Pete 33711-4734 which is in the Maximo Moorings subdivision off the Pinellas Bayway. Home phone is 727 864 1588

Coming from the south: I-275 across the Skyway Bridge, then a left exit at old Exit 4, Pinellas Bayway, just past the southbound toll booths; turn left at light onto the Pinellas Bayway, aka 54th Ave, S and go west a few hundred feet and turn right into 41st St S at the Maximo Moorings entrance; you'll go north a few hundred feet and turn left onto 51st Ave S; I'm the fifth house on the left and if you go much further you're in a neighbor's garage. I'll have a few signs out. Offload in front of the house, then park on the street but stay off the lawns since most folks overwater and you'll sink up to your axle. If you're about to hit a toll booth on the Bayway, you've gone too far.

Driving time from Jeff Searle's nursery to my place in the morning is about 3-1/2 hours but that's pushing the speed limit a bit.

FOOD: I can provide water, ice, plates,cups, etc. Bring your own chairs.

WHO's Coming: I've had a few prelim inquiries on what to bring for food and how much. If all else fails, there's a Publix about 3 minutes away. So how about a preliminary head count.
    More to follow....

38. Judy Glock

Judy Glock Active Member

Jim and I will be there! Judy

39. Perry Edge

Perry Edge Active Member

Count me in

40. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I will be there!