Fall croton tour??

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Bullwinkle, Sep 22, 2018.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I will ask her, Karl. The freebies sound wonderful!

If anyone knows any croton enthusiasts, please ask them to come!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  2. VeroKarl

VeroKarl Well-Known Member

Ana, I am happy to share. People have always been so generous to me at the auctions and since I don't have any crotons propagated, it is the least I can do. I appreciate your opening your garden up to us. Looking forward to seeing you and everyone. Thanks, Karl

3. VeroKarl

I have a few more people interested in going, Robert Chumley and Justin Shuman. Both are big time plant enthusiasts and will love your garden. You may have met Robert he has been a collector in Florida for decades.

annafl likes this.
  4. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I've heard of Chumley. Doesn't he have a philodendron named after him? That would be great, Karl. For your info, I asked Enid about your request and she'd said she'd be happy to bring a few plants for auction!

5. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Can I post this on the Facebook site "Planet Croton"? It'll give us more exposure. We may think about transitioning this site to a Facebook page if that's an option.

annafl and Bullwinkle like this.
  6. VeroKarl

Yes, he does have his famous philodendron. He is a character and very knowledgeable. He knows Rob and probably several of the others. I think that would be exciting to have Enid bring a few plants as long as nobody minds that they are not crotons. I am really into aroids as well.

annafl likes this.
  7. VeroKarl

I think that would be a great idea. I need to join Planet Croton, had not even seen that on facebook.

annafl likes this.
  8. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Randy, that would be fine. I'm a little nervous about having my phone number and email on there though, since I don't know them. Can we have them communicate through you or me privately to give them information on address, phone, etc?

I think a facebook page is a great idea. Then we don't have to worry about not being able to get on. Let's see what others think about this.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  9. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Esteemed Member

If all else fails, then facebook may have to be it if we are to be able to communicate.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

I think a facebook group is fine.Should it be open to all or closed with an invitation only??

11. VeroKarl

I think to start off with you may want to keep it closed. You can have some questions to evaluate if they are people who would be appropriate for the group.

Bullwinkle likes this.
  12. VeroKarl

I agree we don't want Ana's contact info. available to everyone on the web, that could be a real headache. Maybe use facebook forum for initial contact.

Bullwinkle likes this.
  13. VeroKarl

Mike can you set the group up on Facebook. Maybe call it Florida Croton Society or Florida Croton Enthusiasts? I have joined plenty but have no idea how to set one up.

14. Dimych

Dimych Active Member

Don't forget to add me to Facebook

VeroKarl and annafl like this.
  15. VeroKarl

Ana, Are we doing the potluck where everyone brings food for lunch? Just want to be sure I let people know.
    Thanks,
    Karl

Native son likes this.
  16. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Yes, Karl, I was going to post that soon. The usual drill, if it's ok with everyone. We will provide the main course- probably sandwiches and/or wraps this time, and everyone else bring a side dish of sorts. We will also provide water bottles, utensils, paper plates, plastic cups, and that kind of stuff. Does that sound ok to everyone?

17. palmisland

I could have them PM me through Planet Croton & I'll "pre screen" them. Are we going to stick to an auction plant limit? I'll post that also.

annafl likes this.
  18. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Thanks for doing that, Randy. What do you all think about plant limit? I'm tempted to say no, but I'm not sure.

19. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Esteemed Member

Five plants per person seems to have worked well at other meetings.

annafl likes this.
  20. VeroKarl

Do we have any idea how many people will be bringing crotons to sell for the auction? If you only have a few people bringing them I would not set a limit, but if many people are bringing them I agree with Phil and would go with 5. The rest can go in the sales area. Also do we have any idea how many buyers there will be? If we end up with large numbers coming from the Facebook post you want to be sure there is plenty for the auction/sale.

annafl likes this.
  21. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

I am disappointed to say I will not be coming and will certainly miss you all, Anna's beautiful yard, auctioneering to squeeze every dollar out of you and of course the chance to bring a new croton home. It sounds like a nice crowd is coming. I tend to agree with Phil and the last few garden tours that we had, there were an over abundance of plants to auction off, and can drag on with only a handful of bidders only to watch many plants barely bring a few dollars and see people bid on them only so they don't go home with the grower. Most everyone that comes, brings plants to auction off, why not, it's a good way to go home with a few bucks and help pay for the gas right? I firmly agree that if you limit attendees on say 5 to 7 plants, you'll notice that people will bring their best stuff. Newer varieties, larger grown plants, etc. I'm just one voice, I'm not coming, so you all can decide. And also consider having a "For Sale" section which we did have at Annas the first go round. There you can bring extra plants that are priced and sell as "first come, first sold" in a section of the yard. Take pictures!!!

annafl likes this.
  22. VeroKarl

This will be my first auction without the official auctioneer. It just won't be the same.

23. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Jeff, you will be sorely missed for sure.:( So sorry you can't come!

It seems you guys agree that 5-7 plants should be the limit, so let's go with that. We will for sure have a "for sale" section. Mike Woolery has stepped up and will be our auctioneer this time. It's been a while for me and I will be so happy to see all of you again! :)

24. VeroKarl

I am continuing to spread the word to anyone I can think of from Facebook who may be interested. Have a few more who are maybes at this point. One is Randy English, variegated plant collector extraordinaire, who seems to have or has had every imaginable variegated plant. Many of these are people I have not actually met so it will be fun to have them all there.

25. palmisland

Ahhh, I'll miss having Jeff, but Mike will make a great replacement. The past usual auction amount has been 7. I'll post the facebook announcement this evening.

annafl and VeroKarl like this.
  26. palmisland

The announcement for the croton fest is now on the "Planet Croton" facebook page. I'll see what the reaction is as we may have ti limit the number of attendees

annafl and VeroKarl like this.
  27. Dimych

Dimych Active Member

It is a pity that you will not have an online camera to see your holiday)

28. VeroKarl

I know you would enjoy hanging out with all of the croton crew and there are always some exciting plants available. Wish we could beam you over for the day, but have not gotten to that level of technology yet. Phil usually takes photos and posts them so hopefully you will get an idea what it is like.

Dimych likes this.
  29. VeroKarl

Might not hurt to post on the Variegated Plant forum on Facebook as well.

30. keith

keith Well-Known Member

Please bring only well rooted plants to the auction, not a new air layer you planted a week before. [ seen that at the last auction ] If you want to sell air layers, bring them. I would bid on a air layer.

31. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

Been out of town a couple of days. Just wanted to let you all know that we won't be able to park in the empty lot next door like last time. We'll need to park along our narrow street to one side only so neighbors can get by. It would be great if you all could carpool as much as possible, please. I don't want you to expect too much out of our garden right now. Every fall and winter our crotons experience a lot of leaf drop, which has been going on in the last month, and I just have not been able to maintain things as before.o_O . Also, a reminder to get your croton photos! The Thanksgiving Parade is only a week or two away.:)

palmisland likes this.
  32. Jeff Searle

Very good point Keith. It's happened more than once.

33. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

I've been consumed with house reno this past year but will return in spring. Sorry I'll have to miss this event. It's the one weekend I have guests in Nov. I hope this forum doesn't go away. I joined planet croton just in case. Someone look me up on FB if that happens.

34. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Still need to car pool or piggy back :(

35. Jeff Searle

Your the Moose, you have 4 legs.

waykoolplantz and VeroKarl like this.
  36. annafl

annafl Esteemed Member

I have sent out my address, phone and email to those who have said they are coming. Look in your inbox here or your email for the information. If you haven't received the info and would like to come, please let me know. My crotons are dropping leaves at an alarming rate. I hope they are not completely bare in 10 days. Please excuse them.:oops: . I don't know what to do for them and they are ugly already. We will have a nice time despite them, though.:) . If anyone is able to bring the Moose, please contact him!

37. VeroKarl

My crotons are dropping leaves as well, between the very dry summer/fall and change of the season plenty of leaf drop. Your gardens will still be beautiful and seeing everyone is the most important part.

annafl likes this.
  38. Bullwinkle

Pink Boca one of the seven that I will be bringing for auction pinkboca.jpg

annafl and Gauteng like this.
  39. Bullwinkle

Stan Wood, A truly great plant with very big leaves that are almost always different Stan layer.jpg

Moose and annafl like this.
  40. Bullwinkle

Cotton candy cottoncandy2.jpg

annafl likes this.