Fall Croton Meeting and Tour

Saw Jackie & Marie (the sisters) at the Palm Sale at Fairchild, they are coming and probably bringing deserts. Carol Graff is definitely coming, saw her also. The guest numbers are growing ... Mr. Ginsburg may be a very busy BBQing machine. :eek:

So I have a suggestion, I know there are going to be a few extremely rare plants at the meeting, I mean plants that there are maybe 1, 2 known in cultivation!!!

I suggest these extremely rare plants we do a regular auction, IMHO I think that would first be more fun, can do it while silent auction is going on, and I think it would be good since these are extremely rare and special plants!!
What do you all think?

So I have a suggestion, I know there are going to be a few extremely rare plants at the meeting, I mean plants that there are maybe 1, 2 known in cultivation!!!

I suggest these extremely rare plants we do a regular auction, IMHO I think that would first be more fun, can do it while silent auction is going on, and I think it would be good since these are extremely rare and special plants!!
What do you all think?

Rob,

I think it's an excellent idea. The persons that offer them will probably do very well. All we need now is an auctioneer.

What do you all think?

And the names of these extremely rare plants are?:confused::confused::confused:

well I think its a suprise Ray, unless this person wants to come forward and mention it ahead of time so everyone has enough cash.

Not much cash needed here. Eburneum Starting bid: $3.00 each. 3 gallon container, plants about 2 ft. in height. Both ready to get into the ground, packed with roots. :)

Attachments

• Eburneum.jpg
    Eburneum.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 172
Another Silent Auction plant.

Here is Andreanum. 3 ft. and wonderfully colored, 3 gallon container packed full of roots. Color your garden with some "Canned Sunshine". Starting bid: $4.00. :)

Attachments

• Andreanum.jpg
    Andreanum.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 169
Silent Auction Plant

Ram's Horn in "cheater" gallon container 18" tall. Could use more sun to color up better. Mother plant is very nicely colored. Starting Bid: $2.00 :eek:

Attachments

• Ram's Horn.jpg
    Ram's Horn.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 160
Silent Auction Plant

Van Buren in a full size one gallon container, about 2 ft. tall. This is way too much plant for this pot. All the rain made it jump. I have to it wedged between other pots to keep it upright. Very well rooted and needs a new home! ;) Starting Bid: $2.00.

Attachments

• Van Buren.jpg
    Van Buren.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 154
Silent Auction Plant

Mrs. Fred Sanders aka Fred Sanders - 3 gallon pot, over 18" tall, nice and full. Starting to color up since giving it more sun. Starting Bid: $3.00 ;)

Attachments

• Mrs. Fred Sanders.jpg
    Mrs. Fred Sanders.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 166
Silent Auction Plant

Reliance from mother plant in my garden. In full size gallon container, lush and very well rooted. There is a yellow sport which I left on the plant. It thrives because it takes carbs from the main plant. Will not survive on its own, no green, no chlorophyll - no survive on its own. Needs a home in a loving garden. This cultivar can take a fair amount of sun. Looks best with some partial shading. Starting Bid: $3.00 :eek:

Attachments

• Reliance (my Plant).jpg
    Reliance (my Plant).jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 162
For the auction: (all from cuttings this summer)
1. Both are the same, not sure, but I think they're William Craig, but they might be Van Buren.
2. Pinocchio - 3 plants in a pot, 3-gallon heavy soil ready to go in the ground.
3. Gloriosa and an Arrowhead
4. I've calling this one Big Red, both are the same.
5. A bucket of Red Banana, a dozen plants that have been growing in the shade for YEARS! 7-gallon can. Put this in better light, in the ground, and chop the crap out of it.

Opening bid on all plants is $10,500.25

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 169
  • P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 166
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 152
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 157
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 152
Ricky - :D LOL, only full dollar amounts, no coinage allowed. :rolleyes:

Silent Auction Plant

Twist & Point in full gallon size container. 18" tall, very full and root bound in the pot. This cultivar loves bright light and can take afternoon full sun with no problems. Very compact growth. Starting Bid: $3.00 :)

Attachments

• Twist & Point.jpg
    Twist & Point.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 162
Silent Auction Plant

Stewarti in 3 gallon, 2 ft tall, full plant coloring up nicely. Cold tolerant cultivar. Starting Bid: $4.00 :)

Attachments

• Stewarti.jpg
    Stewarti.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 176
Silent Auction Plant

Davis #1 - three gallon container, 2 Ft. + robust plant with large leaves, nicely veined. Looks better in partial shade but tolerates heavy sun exposure. Starting Bid: $5.00 :D

Attachments

• Davis #1.jpg
    Davis #1.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 158
Silent Auction Plant

Gloriosa large leaves, very pretty coloration. This cultivar does best in shade for exceptional colors and maintaining large leaves. Morning sun to filtered diffused light the rest of the day is best. 3 gallon container, plant 2 ft in height. Starting Bid: $5.00 :cool:

Attachments

• Gloriosa.jpg
    Gloriosa.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 171
Silent Auction Plant

Queen Victoria 3 gallon pot packed full of roots. Plant height 3 Ft. - ready to get planted. Can take full sun but looks better with partial shading. Starting Bid: $5.00 ;)

Attachments

• Queen Victoria.jpg
    Queen Victoria.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 180
B]Silent Auction Plant[/B]

Lord Bellhaven 30" tall, needs more sun than its been getting to color up nicely. This is a very good robust grower that appreciates heavy light. :)

The mother plant has great colors on the side of the plant that gets strong light. I will move the Momma in the Spring to a full sun situation.

Attachments

• Lord Bellhaven.jpg
    Lord Bellhaven.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 175
I was at the Ramble at Fairchild yesterday. Ran into Mr. Dave McLean of Zadroga & West Wall fame. Said he will try and make the Croton Tour. Also saw Mr. Dave Hickman the Thai Croton Guy, had not seen him in years. He was unaware about the tour but should probably make the scene. :cool:

Silent Auction Plants

Robert Lavalois is simply a hugh plant with excellent color. A prolific green & yellow croton that appreciates a fair amount of sun exposure. Make an instant statement in a sunny location in your garden. Starting Bid: $7.00 :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Robert Lavalois.jpg
    Robert Lavalois.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 166
Silent Auction Plant

Pink Eburneum very full with pleasant pastel colors. This plant looks better than the mother plant. Momma got smashed by a falling Bismarckia nobilis frond from 20 ft. up during a wind event several weeks back. One of my favorites that keeps great colors year round. Starting Bid: $8.00 :eek:

Attachments

• Pink Eburneum.jpg
    Pink Eburneum.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 170
Silent Auction Plant

Charles Rutherford - 3 gallon container, 3 Ft. tall, large pink hued leaves! Male and female inflorescence are found on this plant. Female flowers could be pollinated by ants by next weekend - potential seedlings. :cool: Starting Bid: $8.00 :eek:

Attachments

• Charles Rutherford.jpg
    Charles Rutherford.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 169
Silent Auction Plant

Lord Bellhaven 30" tall, needs more sun than its been getting to color up nicely. This is a very good robust grower that appreciates heavy light. :)

The mother plant has great colors on the side of the plant that gets strong light. I will move the Momma in the Spring to a full sun situation.[/QUOTE]

Oops ... Starting Bid: $5.00 :eek:

Attachments

• Lord Bellhaven.jpg
    Lord Bellhaven.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 164
Silent Auction Plant

"Grandma" - this is one of the only two large air layered plants I have remaining. Fabulously colored leaves, large plant ready to get planted. Still awaiting to see what this may be or we may never know. There are some around on the West Coast now so hopefully Bob Alonso may be able to render his opinion on an ID.

Starting Bid: $12.00 :eek:

Attachments

• Grandma.jpg
    Grandma.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 166
Silent Auction Plants

The Trifecta - auctioned as a three plant set. The mother plant is a very old and huge Golden Glow found growing in Coral Gables. What was unusual was that there were two different sports found on the Momma. This set was all growing on the same plant.

1st Golden Glow (the mother) has very nice coloring, photo does not do its justice. 3 gallon plant, 2 Ft. in height.

2nd Reliance (sport) 24" tall - very healthy plant.

3rd Yellow Golden Glow (sport) - very uncommon to rare. Definitely a collector's type cultivar.

Starting Bid: $18.00 :)

Attachments

• Golden Glow.jpg
    Golden Glow.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Reliance (from Golden Glow).jpg
    Reliance (from Golden Glow).jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 182
  • Yellow Golden Glow.jpg
    Yellow Golden Glow.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 177
Ron,

Your bringing some nice plants that will enable some people to get their collections built up quickly.

The attendance is growing day to day w/ names. Confirmation of who's coming is now at 55, give or take a couple. This past weekend down in Miami at the Ramble Plant Sale, Ron, Rob and myself talked to many new people that showed lots of interest in coming. And these are not included in the 55 as mentioned above.
And from what I'm hearing, there are going to be a few plants that have NEVER before been made available at an auction. NEVER! So....come early, bring money and be ready to bid.

Jeff do you have a schedule in mind??Time for tour,silent auction begins,silent auction ends and regular auction begins etc??

Ron,

Your bringing some nice plants that will enable some people to get their collections built up quickly.

The attendance is growing day to day w/ names. Confirmation of who's coming is now at 55, give or take a couple. This past weekend down in Miami at the Ramble Plant Sale, Ron, Rob and myself talked to many new people that showed lots of interest in coming. And these are not included in the 55 as mentioned above.
And from what I'm hearing, there are going to be a few plants that have NEVER before been made available at an auction. NEVER! So....come early, bring money and be ready to bid.

I hope a bunch of those folks are either vegetarians or Kosher. There's only around 12 pounds of barbecue. Might have to auction off the pulled pork sammiches.

Jeff do you have a schedule in mind??Time for tour,silent auction begins,silent auction ends and regular auction begins etc??

Mike, I had a lengthy answer, but once again, I got booted out and asked that I signed in, when I was already. UGH!!!

Anyway, I expect many people to start showing up right after 10:30am. I will not give one big tour because I did that 3 years ago w/ about 30-40 people and the crowd was just too big. I think it would be best to give smaller group tours and anyone that wants to walk around on their own, that's fine. NO cuttings or picking of seeds allowed!!! The food will probably be ready around noon, Andrea has a couple of girls coming over to help w/ that. As people show up, their plants will be placed around the pool and patio area. The silent auction will continue to maybe 1-2 o'clock. We will make an announcment 15 minutes prior to the end to give everyone a last chance to make a final bid. I think the Rare Plant auction will start after that.

Any suggestions and or ideas are welcome.

Sounds Great.
Tours from 1030 and auctions start at around 1pm.I should be there around 11.30 with either 1 or two guests.

Mike, I had a lengthy answer, but once again, I got booted out and asked that I signed in, when I was already. UGH!!!

Anyway, I expect many people to start showing up right after 10:30am. I will not give one big tour because I did that 3 years ago w/ about 30-40 people and the crowd was just too big. I think it would be best to give smaller group tours and anyone that wants to walk around on their own, that's fine. NO cuttings or picking of seeds allowed!!! The food will probably be ready around noon, Andrea has a couple of girls coming over to help w/ that. As people show up, their plants will be placed around the pool and patio area. The silent auction will continue to maybe 1-2 o'clock. We will make an announcment 15 minutes prior to the end to give everyone a last chance to make a final bid. I think the Rare Plant auction will start after that.

Any suggestions and or ideas are welcome.

I heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend that Ray is bringing some air layers of White Tapestry, Rosie O'Grady, Norma Jean, Ishi, Richard Krukonis, Blotched Raphael, Royal Horseguard and Florence Black for the Silent Auction. :p