Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Spring Sale

Discussion in 'BIG LEAF TROPICALS' started by Moose, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Spring Sale, thousands of beautiful plants available! :cool:

If you gotta have it, it will probably be there. ;)

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
    10901 Old Cutler Rd.
    Coral Gables, FL.
    Phone 305-667-1651.

2. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Hey, how did the sale go, well did you go? If so, how was the selection of plants and the crowd?

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Yes I went. Light rain started falling around 9:00 am. There was a nice hardcore plant crowd at the gate. The rain was getting more pronounced but the gates remained closed until the 9:30 am opening time. The rain came down very hard as we were let in. In retrospect, it would have been nice if the garden would have allowed us to seek shelter under a tent inside.

There was a wonderful array of all kind of plants to suite any plant lovers fancy. Those who had interesting and unusual plants did very well sales wise. Carts were jammed full with great stuff. Fairchild had at least 50 carts available and it was not until the lunch time that any unused cart was spotted. Then after the lunch hour, another wave of plant lovers emerged out of the food court area - sales were once again brisk.

Considering the early rains, I would say the crowd was impressive. The selection, quality, and pricing of the plants for sale was spectacular!

4. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

The Spring Sale at Fairchild will be held this weekend, April 9-10, 2016. There will be a few croton vendors as well as vendors for all types of plants, many rare.

5. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I hope someone here will take some pics and share. It's always a treat to see what comes up for sale in different parts of the world.

6. Marie Nock

Steve took a shot of our booth while I was sticking on prices and there's a shot of the next booth selling gingers and heliconias. Sorry he didn't get the other vendors selling bromeliads, crotons, bonsai, flowering trees and shrubs, tropical fruit, palms, orchids, bananas, cacti/succulents, bamboo art and the Fairchild Booth selling lots of unusual tropicals.

Spring Sale 2016.JPG Spring Sale 2016 2.JPG

kwtimo likes this.
  7. Dypsisdean

Thanks Marie,

I wish it was that easy to get a truckload of unusual plants around here. At times is feels like the "good ol' days" in SoCal here, where I would take a 4 hour round trip drive for one unusual palm. :(

The good news it that it seems much easier most places now than 40 yrs ago. I guess that would indicate there is more interest, which is good.

8. Marie Nock

Dean, you have an opportunity this coming weekend in Hilo. It's the BIAN Spring Sale. We thought we'd be there for it because it's usually the first weekend in March, but this year they moved it to April. We have found wonderful plants at the Spring Sale in the past.

9. Dypsisdean

Marie,
    Thanks for reminding me. The in-laws are arriving soon from the Mainland, so..... How do I convince them that a plant sale is more important than visiting with them. Hmmmm - I should be able to think of something. :)

10. kwtimo

kwtimo Well-Known Member

Nice looking booth, Marie. Look at the size of that Pentagonia!

11. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

OMG..I need a Pentagonia!!! Gorgeous plant!

12. Marie Nock

Thanks Tim. That's one of our larger ones.

13. Marie Nock

Bren, it needs 50 degrees or higher and high humidity.

14. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

I figured as such but this is one I'd be willing to over winter inside. Gorgeous! I can't find a thing on it online. Please share more detail!