Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Spring Sale

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
Spring Sale, thousands of beautiful plants available! :cool:

If you gotta have it, it will probably be there. ;)

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden
10901 Old Cutler Rd.
Coral Gables, FL.
Phone 305-667-1651.

Yes I went. Light rain started falling around 9:00 am. There was a nice hardcore plant crowd at the gate. The rain was getting more pronounced but the gates remained closed until the 9:30 am opening time. The rain came down very hard as we were let in. In retrospect, it would have been nice if the garden would have allowed us to seek shelter under a tent inside.

There was a wonderful array of all kind of plants to suite any plant lovers fancy. Those who had interesting and unusual plants did very well sales wise. Carts were jammed full with great stuff. Fairchild had at least 50 carts available and it was not until the lunch time that any unused cart was spotted. Then after the lunch hour, another wave of plant lovers emerged out of the food court area - sales were once again brisk.

Considering the early rains, I would say the crowd was impressive. The selection, quality, and pricing of the plants for sale was spectacular!

The Spring Sale at Fairchild will be held this weekend, April 9-10, 2016. There will be a few croton vendors as well as vendors for all types of plants, many rare.

Steve took a shot of our booth while I was sticking on prices and there's a shot of the next booth selling gingers and heliconias. Sorry he didn't get the other vendors selling bromeliads, crotons, bonsai, flowering trees and shrubs, tropical fruit, palms, orchids, bananas, cacti/succulents, bamboo art and the Fairchild Booth selling lots of unusual tropicals.

Spring Sale 2016.JPG
Spring Sale 2016 2.JPG

Thanks Marie,

I wish it was that easy to get a truckload of unusual plants around here. At times is feels like the "good ol' days" in SoCal here, where I would take a 4 hour round trip drive for one unusual palm. :(

The good news it that it seems much easier most places now than 40 yrs ago. I guess that would indicate there is more interest, which is good.

Dean, you have an opportunity this coming weekend in Hilo. It's the BIAN Spring Sale. We thought we'd be there for it because it's usually the first weekend in March, but this year they moved it to April. We have found wonderful plants at the Spring Sale in the past.

Marie,
Thanks for reminding me. The in-laws are arriving soon from the Mainland, so..... How do I convince them that a plant sale is more important than visiting with them. Hmmmm - I should be able to think of something. :)

I figured as such but this is one I'd be willing to over winter inside. Gorgeous! I can't find a thing on it online. Please share more detail!