1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Exotica Book - the 58 croton IDs

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by junglegal, Oct 1, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Just picked up Exotica by A.B. Graf. Since I am new to crotons and ID'ing them, are there certain inaccuracies in this book that I should notate?

Thanks!

Bren

2. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

That book is great historcial reference for crotons but the photos are black and white. The best you can do is read the descriptions and match up the leaf shapes. After reading it for awhile, you end up with more questions than you had before. I do love the old name references like Anietumense (the old name for Sunray).

His follow up Tropica is riddled with mistakes and much less accurate.

If that's one of your $1 book finds, nice job.

3. junglegal

ack, sorry, I meant say Tropica! I was looking at exotica when I typed this post.

No, I bought exotica and tropica online but at bargain prices.

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Wow - I started looking for these publications since seeing this thread. I have yet to find the bargains as of yet. It took me about 8 months to find The Cycads by Loran Whitelock at a reasonable price, I guess I need to be patient. :confused:

Ron, :)

5. junglegal

Ron,

I bought them through amazon. They were used but in excellent condition. I paid around $55 for each and included S/H.

I've seen them occasionally offered through ebay too. The only one I don't have is Hortica. That one I've yet to find at a reasonable price.

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Bren - I'm still looking... ;)

7. Croton Guru

Croton Guru Banned

Hmm, With so many errors in Old and new Books which do you believe? being the Hybridizers are long gone. :confused: BTW My Exotica has colored photos :D