Evidence of a Mild Winter 2012-2013

Discussion in 'COMPANION PLANTS - TROPICAL & SUBTROPICAL' started by DavidMac, Mar 14, 2013.

1. DavidMac

DavidMac Member

Normally here on the FSU campus we can expect hard freezes to knock our bougainvilleas down to the ground in the winter-but the 2012-2013 winter has been rather mild for us. Here is evidence.
    bougainvillea_march2013.jpg

2. DavidMac

DavidMac Member

We have Variegated Shell Ginger (Alpinia zerumbet) 'Variegata' that has escaped injury this year. They are hardier than the literature gives them credit for-but they normally get burnt on mild winters and frozen to the ground on hard winters.
    gingers.jpg

3. DavidMac

DavidMac Member

Here are some Bananas that recieved some light foliage damage-but the stems are OK.

bananas.jpg

4. DavidMac

DavidMac Member

Selloum Leaf Philodendron-Philodendron bipinnatifidum (formerly known as Philodendron selloum) is relatively dependable here but usually loses some leaves and gets some burnt during the winter. Not this winter though ;)

selloum.jpg

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Wow! Looks like Tally escaped this winter. Here in my area I have escaped another winter without any freeze or frost. That's two in a row now. :D

6. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

South Florida had a Chamber of Commerce winter! Here is my photographic evidence :eek:

Attached Files: