Encephalartos ferox

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I have had this E. ferox for many years and I have not paid much attention to the plant. The plant has grown fine in its location but looks to get lost in the landscaping around it. The Bromeliads that grow around it are nothing special and always hold leaf litter from the nearby Magnolia. It is hard to get much of anything to grow under a Magnolia but the Bromeliads do well. Would it be best to remove the Bromeliades and make the ferox the focal plant in this location?
Img_5749.jpg

I have the same plant,and that's not E.ferox. Unless there is feathery leafed form I'm unaware of. E. ferox leaves are muck like a Holly ferns. Squarish with leaf edges that seem to be cut with crimp scissors.
Whatever it is,would benefit from being just part of the jungle to maybe more of a specimen with removal of the rangy Broms. The litter from the Magnolia will always make it untidy is the problem. I know,I have one of those too!

I have the same plant,and that's not E.ferox. Unless there is feathery leafed form I'm unaware of. E. ferox leaves are muck like a Holly ferns. Squarish with leaf edges that seem to be cut with crimp scissors.
Whatever it is,would benefit from being just part of the jungle to maybe more of a specimen with removal of the rangy Broms. The litter from the Magnolia will always make it untidy is the problem. I know,I have one of those too!
Stan, You are absolutely right that it is not E. ferox. I keep calling it a ferox out of habit as that is what I had purchased it for as a tiny one leaf plant some years ago. As the plant grew it became obvious that it was not ferox.