1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Dypsis sp. 'betafaka'

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by brodklop, Aug 7, 2009.

1. brodklop

brodklop Member

Discussion thread for Dypsis sp. 'betafaka'. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

2. Shon

Shon Member

Dean is there a pic of the whole palm?

3. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Shon,

I'll look around. I think there was a pic of Alfred's 'betafaka' (the close up photos here) on PalmTalk a while ago. But the pic in the article here, labeled from Florida, is IMO a different 'betafaka.' It is the same as the one JD Anderson began selling as 'Betafaka' some time ago.

4. Shon

Shon Member

Dean I'm uh waiting.

5. Dypsisdean

Shon,

All I could find are these. Apparently the full size photo I tried to find was hosted somewhere and now is unavailable.

Someone mentioned that this is what a mature Alfred 'betafaka' may look like. I'm not so sure as there is so much morphing that goes on with these guys as they get bigger. These pics are from a reporteded D. madagascariensis variety.

I'll keep looking.

Attached Files:

6. Shon

Shon Member

Any luck Deano? The reason is JM got a shipment in summer and one was really different. The rest were like the one that has been floating around the past couple years. The one I set aside looks more like Alfred's than one I've ever seen especially this young. I thought there was one on palmtalk one time. I'll try to get a pic of mine and see what you think.

7. Dypsisdean

No Shon,

The one on PT, I think is the one I posted above that is now missing. You could ask Gary Levine. I believe he had some pics.

But I wouldn't get too hung up on that name. It's another on of those "pick a name" names, and could mean different things to different people. And could just be a variety of something we already have.