1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Dypsis psammophila

Discussion in 'PALM TREES - WHERE TROPICAL STARTS' started by brodklop, Aug 25, 2009.

1. brodklop

brodklop Member

Discussion thread for Dypsis psammophila. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

2. crazypalmdude

crazypalmdude Member

does anyone know anything about this palm, I have a small one in a two gallon pot and its gorgeous but i dont know where to put it . does it like shade or sun , filtered sun?

3. rpebinger

rpebinger Active Member

4. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

If you have the real D. psammophila it can take most full sun locations. May look better with a touch of shade depending on your location. Unless you live in the tropics, it may struggle in deeper shade. Even most palms mistaken for it will tolerate the same. Of course, that really depends on your particular location. If you live in Death Valley, it may need some shade. :)

In general, it is a very forgiving easy to grow palm.

5. crazypalmdude

crazypalmdude Member

thats funny you guys mention that because i have been skeptical if it really is true psammophila it has some red and black coloring on the petioles and its starting to form a trunk with reddish color on it, but it hasnt started clustering like ive seen in pictures its in a 2 gallon i'll try to get a picture up soon and see what you think

6. crazypalmdude

crazypalmdude Member

i also bought mine from jungle music and it looks like the picture of the gentlemen's who also bought his there, but it just has one little trunk

7. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I have also heard that there are two forms of this palm.