Dypsis onilahensis

Personally I think it is worth a try. If it's as tough to the cold as it is to drought and hot sun, then it may work. I have the 'stilff' variety in Calif, and it's seems to be a very tough plant. I am not so sure about the 'weeping' form.

Trouble is, I don't know where you can get the 'stiff' form. It used to be the 'stiff' form was the only one available in Calif. Now, I think it's only the 'weeping' form that's available.

John,

The plant Matty mentioned is a real winner. I don't know if you saw my "dissertation" about the three plants being called D. onilahensis on PalmTalk. If you didn't you should. HERE
Louis' plant is the one that Mardy Darian brought in and the same one I have in California that is a strong robust fast grower. And in my opinion, the best for SoCal, and proabably NoCal as well. You can see some pics of it in Palmpedia. It's the one with the shoe for scale.

Your dissertation has spanwed a discussion that is 3 years old. I have ordered seedlings from Jeff, the form didn't specify whether they had a stiffy.

Dave, do you have a spare stiffy you can part with? I may have a B. alfredii to trade...

I am fairly certain Jeff's are the 'weepers.' I have seen the 'Slick Willy' over here, and a lot of the 'weepers,' but never the 'stiffies.' And there were never any stiffies in Florida early on either. Mardy was the only source for these that I know of.

Don't get me wrong. I love the "weepers" more than the other two. They are a tremendous looking palm over here. It's just that I am guessing the 'stiffies' to be better for Calif. But I have no reason or evidence to suggest that is a reality.

The "weepers" come from what looks to be a very harsh environment. And I hear that areas of the high plateau in Madagascar get frost. And they grow down in those gullies. So they would probably experience some of the colder weather on the high plateau. So I may be talking out of my a$$. :) It's just that i am super impressed by the stiffy's performance in my California garden. Every garden should have one there, from the coast to the desert.

Dean,

Do you think this is the stiff form? It is by far the fastest growing dypsis I have. It came labeled as unknown so I have no idea what it really is.

P1030412.jpg

Nick,

You're not going to like my answer........................Maybe. :)

It has that look, so it very well could be. I wish I could have seen it as a seedling, Did it have that D. baronii, herteromorpha, onilahensis look?

I don't really remember mine that well at that age since it was so long ago. If it suckered, I would give it more of a possibility, and it still might. But it is starting to get past that point.

But I think it is a good possibility. I'll have to look at mine when I'm in town to see if the newest leaf has that little "V" to it. At any rate it's a nice looking healthy palm.

BTW - We will be in town next month. Let's do sushi.

Dean,

It did have that Baronii, heteromorpha, onilahensis look. I bought another one labeled as unknown at the same time and it suckered and grows like a weed also. Here is a pic of the suckering one. I think they are the same palm but who knows. Corrie and I will be in for Sushi anytime. I might be able to rally Rusty and Vanessa also.

P1030430.jpg

Just found an old pic that is pretty interesting. The palm in the forefront is a true ambositrae, the one in the middle is the suckering "Unknown" that I pictured above and the palm in the back is the weeping onilahensis. Notice the color of the suckering palm, it used to be a deep maroon and yellow color. Also you can see from the pic how much faster the suckering palm is from my weeping onilahensis. The weeping pic was taken the same day I took the pic of the suckering one, about a week old.

P1010036.jpg

P1030427.jpg

"On further review..............."

I think there's a very good chance both of yours are "stiffies."

My take on the "stiffy" as opposed to the "weeper" is:

1) The speed of growth - the "stiffy" being a rocket.
2) The color - The "weepers" are always much whiter, at all stages of growth.
3) The adult size - the "stiffy" is a much more robust palms with stems 2-3 times the size of the "weepers."

That is why I questioned whether they are really the same species.

But if I were you, I would be pleased I had those. I think they are rarer than the "weepers" these days. But with Louis' seeding, maybe not for long. :)