Dypsis hovomatsina - Top 10, no Top 5

Dypsisdean

Administrator
Staff member
28/09/07
There are not many of these this size around. When the KP Lundkvist garden only has one, that is all the proof you need. If you have ever been fortunate enough to see one of these mature palms in person, you too would be drooling. The ones I have seen in the garden of Floribunda leaves you thinking about them all the way home.

And I am not alone. After I talk with many who have seen Jeff Marcus D. hovos recently, they too have a lasting memory and comment on them. And then ask to see mine that is barely shoulder high - yet probably about 6-7 yrs. old.

This is Karolyn Lundkvist and friend for scale, in her garden.
DSC_0039.jpg DSC_0040.JPG DSC_0042_2.jpg

Last edited:
There are not many of these this size around. When the KP Lundkvist garden only has one, that is all the proof you need. If you have ever been fortunate enough to see one of these mature palms in person, you too would be drooling. The ones I have seen in the garden of Floribunda leaves you thinking about them all the way home.

And I am not alone. After I talk with many who have seen Jeff Marcus D. hovos recently, they too have a lasting memory and comment on them. And then ask to see mine that is barely shoulder high - yet probably about 6-7 yrs. old.

This is Karolyn Lundkvist and friend for scale, in her garden.
View attachment 33560 View attachment 33562 View attachment 33563

Come on Dean lets see that 6-7 yr old beauty. Post a pic for us

The most important question is...does it grow in California?
Do you have photos Dean, of Dypsis decipiens happy in Hawaii?

Also it must be terrible to have mosses cover the trunks of Hawaiin palms.:D

I think it will grow in the premium microclimates of SoCal. But not near as easily as D. decipiens.

I"ll take a pic of my DD. It's really growing well. And in my climate, I have little moss, not enough rain for that. But some people love the moss covered trunks, others - not so much. But IMO it looks great on the rocks and old trees.