Dropping leaves

annafl

Esteemed Member
My two most delicate plants- Zanzibar and Madam Butterfly are dropping leaves. Not the older leaves, but many of the younger leaves instead. They are both rather small plants with small diameter stems. I've looked at both with a fine tooth comb and see no pests. No spider mites, or any more visible creatures. Anyone else have this happen? What could the culprit be? Otherwise the plants look healthy and after spraying them with soapy water the leaves start coming back almost immediately and they look healthy. However, it recurs once I stop the soap spray or it rains frequently. Could it be light colored thrips that I can't see? Uncharacteristic of snail damage- and I do have plenty of snails. The plants don't look like they have any root problems. The Madam Butterfly does have some leaves that are a bit deformed. What gives?

Ana,

My Zanzibar struggled for several months a while back. It would send out new growth which would soon die back. After much trial & error, the plant has come back with a vengeance. My conclusion, this cultivar is very sensitive to nitrogen. I stopped the fertilizer and flushed with water often to turn things around.

I have also noticed occasional leaf deformation on some other cultivars after I fertilized. I get my best results cutting back on the fertilizer but applying more often.

Zanzibar is one my favorites, but I am not its favorite. I have the same problem for a few years as Ana with them. I have cut back to light feedings and things were looking hopeful. I have not noticed mites or any type of bugs, but most leaves have fallen.

Alright, it's in a pot, so I will flush it out. The Madam is in the ground, and the condition is not so bad, but I will flush around it too. I fertilize lightly but frequently with alfalfa pellets (low nitrogen), but have given plants K-mag and maybe that's been at a too-high dose? I don't know the dose, but I'll be more careful. I have also sprayed a couple of times with the acid loving fertilizer. Another lesson learned. Thanks, guys. Also glad to know it's not just me. I am learning thanks to all of you. Ana

Re: Zanzibar, I've been zapping mine since spring with the Miracle Grow azalea liquid fertilizer, used as a spray on the leaves. This gives them a tremendous shot of nitrogen (about 30%) and they love it. So I don't think nitrogen (at least in this form) is the problem.

I have a few crotons doing the same thing. The newest leaves come out deformed and fall off prematurely. Some older leaves are also dropping. There are no visible mites but the symptoms are classic signs even if we can't see them. There's really no other explanation.

I have a few crotons doing the same thing. The newest leaves come out deformed and fall off prematurely. Some older leaves are also dropping. There are no visible mites but the symptoms are classic signs even if we can't see them. There's really no other explanation.
Sounds like it could be thrips possibly as well.