Do You Want a Milky Way?

DSC_0491.JPG
DSC_0492.JPG
DSC_0493.JPG
DSC_0493.JPG
DSC_0492.JPG
This is the original Milky Way. I took these photos at Pinecrest during the IPS biennial on 5/25/14. It's kinda tucked behind a gate.

Those are great photos, Randy. You can really see the pink on the undersides. Thanks. Gotta get to Pinecrest Gardens sometime.

Marie, again, I wish I were closer to attend all these events. Sounds fun. Nothing much happens up our way.:(

DSC_0193.JPG
DSC_0194.JPG

I thought I'd post pictures of the two Milky Way crotons that have been donated for the TFEPS auction on October 27th. The smaller one has emerging leaves that look like they're going to be blotched. Wouldn't that be interesting? The underside of the leaves on the larger one is shown in the second picture.

Some of the other crotons that will be up for auction include: Capt. Gilbert Cutler, Baron Le Compte,
Irene Kingsley, Mona Lisa, Gloriosa, Columbiana, Lt. Paget, Pitcairn, Plaid Oak, Freckles (the real one), Thomas Hitchcock (I think), Wooten's Beauty, a Green/Yellow NOID and a red spotted NOID.

If others of you are donating crotons for the auction, perhaps you'll list them here.

I'm looking at the pictures and notice the chainlink and wood fences. There must be more than one of these plants in the garden. The plant I know of is in a different area. Well.....that's a good thing.

I'm looking at the pictures and notice the chainlink and wood fences. There must be more than one of these plants in the garden. The plant I know of is in a different area. Well.....that's a good thing.

Jeff, The best way for me to describe the location of this one is this. Behind the open left gate going into the outdoor theatre area where the talk was given by the park director. The wood fence is 6' & the open gate is chain link. I just happened to see this one as we were entering the theatre.

Just a reminder... the AUCTION is tonight. 7:00 pm in the Garden House at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. I just made pecan pies for the event and am halfway through making a Chocolate Trifle. In addition to great plants at the auction, the refreshment table is spectacular.

Hope to see you there.

Well, the auction was held last night. Ryan, myself and Travis drove down and saw lots of good plant people, including a few of our very own croton members here. And guess what, the highest bid on a plant went to............a CROTON!!! Yes, a beautifully grown Milky Way. $140 beautifully grown! There was a nice selection of crotons brought in, maybe around 15 plts in total. And I think once again, the average price paid for crotons were by far higher than any other plant group. Palms, aroids, ferns,blah,blah,blah. All kidding aside, the money raised went to a great society and............CROTONS ruled the house!!!