1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Did I Luck Out?

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by ScotTi, Aug 8, 2010.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Is this Yellow Iceton? No ID on plant. My plant did not make it after this last Winter, but I pretty sure this is Yellow Iceton from memory.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      125 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      138.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

yes indeed, that is a Yellow Mrs. Iceton! Mine proved remakably cold hardyf along with the more colorful one.

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Scott:

Answer: Yes and your coloration is better than mine as well! :p

4. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Phil thanks for the ID. I think mine would have been ok last Winter if I had not planted it so late in the season (Nov.). I will not be planting any Crotons in the ground this year after Sept. The really late plantings last year are the plants that did not make it.

5. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I guess Yellow Mrs Iceton has now made the big time. Found it at the Big Box Store.

6. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Scott -
    Also learned that lesson the hard way too - late season plantings do not survive as well as their established neighbors. But then what to do with a late season acquistion - take it inside for every cold snap ( *&^%$#@!); plant it and hope; or just sink the pot in the ground, mulch, and hope.
    Both Icetons occasionally show up in the big box stores over here too.

7. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Phil, my experience with Ms. iceton was the opposite, one of a handful to perish. Glad they are becoming common as I'll be replacing it soon. Most I've seen in the box stores look too washed out though.

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

I stopped in a Big Box Store yesterday a gave a quick glance at the crotons to check for something unusual. Well like every time I go, its all Petra's and Mammies. :( At least you guys are getting some variety.

Warning: The crotons I saw yesterday were invested with the croton scale. Check you plants carefully when purchasing from the big box stores! :eek:

9. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

I had no problem with the pink over the Winter. The yellow was planted 2' away and did not make it. Here is the pink Mrs. Iceton today.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      200.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Like Brenda, mine got blasted by the cold while the colorful one held up well. A great find nonetheless.