Cyrtostachys renda

ScotTi

Esteemed Member
16/04/08
I was gifted about 200 seed of C. renda about a month ago and have been hesitant on sowing the seed. I know this palm is very cold sensitive and will spend a bit of time as a house plant here. Should I sow the seed now or would it be best to wait until after the passing of winter? I know best results for germinating will be not holding the seed until spring. Any thoughts ??

I waited to plant the seed till May and germination rate was really good. Many were lost over the summer and I have 6 left out of around 40.:(

Good luck on these. I've been getting so interested in palms lately. Was thumbing through my newly purchased Palm book and saw a picture of one. Found incredibly beautiful pics online. I'm told there's a water feature area including one of these at the Gaylord Palms in Orlando.

Brenda - that is a very nice offer! Thank you. If you have a division in the spring, I will be excited to give it a good home. I sure hope I'll be able to share some crotons with you next week. Looking forward to meeting you!

I was gifted about 200 seed of C. renda about a month ago and have been hesitant on sowing the seed. I know this palm is very cold sensitive and will spend a bit of time as a house plant here. Should I sow the seed now or would it be best to wait until after the passing of winter? I know best results for germinating will be not holding the seed until spring. Any thoughts ??

Scott - Those seed do not have a long shelf life viability. Sow them now. :FastGrow2

Saw a program in HD on a home in Costa Rica..and those C.renda were big and perfect. Big canes,red as can be and fronds deep green..not a single old frond on it. They were the tallest I've spotted in shots of them around the tropical globe.
btw,Another episode of "Hawaiian life", a similar program, showed a spectacular home lined with a grove of large Bottle palms..I mean had to be 15 or 20 of them. With a groundcover of giant Monstera. That grows here...but not with 4' leaves like that.

Scott -
those seeds should be germinating now, any luck?