Crotons in California.

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Stan, Oct 28, 2015.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Two years ago,this blog's topic would be nothing special to me. Now,I see the greatness-lol. I even now know to look for "Stoplight". If I don't find it- then I will order one next spring. Mammy for me did fantastic. It did finally color up and its in a 5 gallon pot now. I will go 25 one day,knock on croton wood.
    And Dean- check out his Red Cloak!

http://www.marriedtoplants.com/flowering-plants/crotons-in-southern-california/

Native son likes this.
  2. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

Stan, I thoroughly enjoyed the photos and article you attached to your post. I'm from the Californian desert (Imperial Valley) on the Mexican border and I didn't know what a Croton was until my job transferred me to Costa Rica where I settled after retirement. Thanks again! :hoe&rake

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Stan - being in the Bay area, you have a lot more humidity then most California areas. Coupled with your microclimate, I believe you will have success with crotons. Hey, your mango seems to be doing well. You probably will just have a few nights to fret about a year. With a bit of protection, you will be rewarded with wonderful colors during the warmer months.

4. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Stan Stewartii, if you get to Fla anytime is a real surviver in cold weather.

5. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Don,for you the skies the limit. Do you know Coconut palms are grown there in the deserts?- to the point they fruit?.I've seen pics of huge tree sized Singapore Plumeria- P.obtusa. Even Ficus bengahlensis. We just need a decent winter.
    Moose,Petra made me back off...but as Mammy grew (a lot) over the summer,I think I will add a few more types. They had always seemed impossible.
    N.S, Stewartii is on the list now.