Crotons from seeds. "Yellow Quirka" + "Nervia"

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Sergey, Aug 19, 2010.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Sergey

Sergey Active Member

My first experience in hybridization:). Ten seeds were sown, only one seedling appeared:).

I cross-pollinated “Yellow Quirka” (name for croton # 6, 7 in Australia) and “Nervia” #8 or “Eureka” (commercial names in Holland)

It had been always dark green with very rare spots and I was about to throw it away. But I liked the leaves’ shape and saved it as I hoped to use it in hybridization in future. Only in 4 years I saw red and dark contrast. I think that leaves will become more narrow and brighter outdoors.

Attached Files:

2. Sergey

Sergey Active Member

Attached Files:

3. fawnridge

fawnridge Well-Known Member

Sergey - That last one was identified in my garden as AFD #2 by the gang that was here last year, but Nervia is a more interesting name.

4. Sergey

Sergey Active Member

Thank you very much, Ricky! It’s an important comment for me. I think that varieties should have their first real names and don’t like this confusion with commercial names.

5. keith

keith Active Member

Sergey, great hybrid, nice leaf shape. I asked my Russian friend at work about
    Siberia, the first thing he said was- its freezing cold there! Im amazed at how
    large your collection is, I would never have guessed anyone would be growing
    crotons in Siberia! Keep up the good work.

6. Sergey

Sergey Active Member

Thank you!

7. Central Floridave

Central Floridave Active Member

that is a cool looking leaf shape.

What kind of temps and humidity do you keep in your greenhouse?

I have a few volunteer seedlings coming up recently. I'm hoping they provide something unique as well.

8. Sergey

Sergey Active Member

Dave, thank you! Temperature is 80-90°F (28-32°C). Humidity is high, but I’ve never estimated it.
    Good luck with your volunteers! Hope you will post their photos soon!