Crotons at Naples Botanical Garden

Marie Nock

04/07/09
We made our first visit to Naples Botanical Garden last Friday and here are a few pictures of the crotons we saw there.

NBG 3.JPG
NBG 4.JPG
NBG 1.JPG
NBG 2.JPG

I love Naples Botanical Garden. I try to go once every two years. Granted I love just about all of the botanical gardens in the state. Harry Leu was the first place I started to see a wider variety of crotons in a botanical garden. Not much variety here at McKee in Vero Beach but still a nice place to walk around.

Hey Karl, just thinking do you know anyone at McKee's? If so check with them I could hook them up with several plants if there is any interest. We had field trips to McKee Gardens as a school kid almost every year as a youngster.

Hey Karl, just thinking do you know anyone at McKee's? If so check with them I could hook them up with several plants if there is any interest. We had field trips to McKee Gardens as a school kid almost every year as a youngster.
I had been thinking the same thing about donating plants when I walk through McKee. I will have to see if there is someone I can reach out to. They had some damage from the hurricane, so that was likely the priority, but they do a pretty good job of keeping things neat and clean. The few crotons they have don't look very good, so scale and other pests are probably doing a job on them. I am dealing with some scale outbreaks as well. The constantly changing temperatures and lack of rain are probably stressing the plants out. I think I may have waited too long between spraying and may have skipped over some of the plants that looked clean at the time. Love crotons, but hate scale. Thanks, Karl.

Marie, they are beautiful! It always amazes me how much greener and more robust things are in Naples than here. A few degrees makes so much difference. Thanks so much for posting. Have to get down there and see the gardens sometime.