1. NEW BROMELIAD FORUM
    Guest - Don't miss our new forum. Perhaps you have something to add or share with us.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Check out, join, and contribute to our Facebook Page. Help get more people to the Forum. NEW TROPISCAPE FACEBOOK GROUP
    Dismiss Notice

Crotons and Spider Mites

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Dypsisdean, Jul 1, 2009.

Please Help Support Our Generous Sponsors

1. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

Since I'm new to Crotonland - (like I need another obsession) - I have heard Spider Mites mentioned twice already.

Is that a major problem with these plants? Every plant category has a "biggest problem." With Crotons, is it these little guys?

2. TikiRick

TikiRick Well-Known Member

Yes, among a few other things.
    Bayers 3:1 Systemic hose end sprayer works miracles for spider mites. It is one of the few that actually kill the RED spider mites....as most others are not specific to this type of mite.

Croton scale....another story.

3. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

And thanks for a pretty wet spring and summer(so far), spider mites have not been a problem. They usually present more of a problem during the dry months, winter through spring, until the rains come.

Jeff

4. Crazy for Crotons

Crazy for Crotons Well-Known Member

Rick,

Is the 3 in 1 not doing the job on the croton scale?

Ray

5. TikiRick

TikiRick Well-Known Member

Ray,
    Yes it does help...but unless you use the 3:1 regularly (every say, 6 weeks) it does creep up on you (pun intended!).

It is expensive ... about $16/bottle, but it does keep your croton collection looking pristine.

6. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Dypsis Dean-

Here in Florida, spider mites can be a major pest especially in the dry season. Your weather pattern on the Big Island is definitely different than peninsular Florida. During the winter dry season, spider mites can thrive esp in lower humidity and lack of rain to wash them off the leaves (another reason not to plant them under the eaves of a builiding - no washing/rinsing action to get rid of them.

As mentioned earlier, Bayer 3:1 is a good prophylaxis and treatment even if a bit pricey. Coffee grounds may be effective prophylaxis and treatment. For more info on coffee grounds, see Tom Broome's article at The Cycad Society's web site. Caoffee grounds are cheap and cannot hurt.

Onward through the fog...

7. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

i seem to have 2 crotons that always have mites is it unheard of to have crotons next to these and they never get them
    crotons around these even touching them are clean but 2 species always seem loaded

8. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

My Dr Brown is a mite motel. They just love this one & all around it, perfectly clean.