Croton Tour today!

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Borgy230, May 20, 2012.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Borgy230

Borgy230 Active Member

Well here are some pics I took, mainly at the last location.

Attached Files:

2. junglegal

junglegal Esteemed Member

Very nice Rob! Looks like Mr. Searle's. Looking forward to more pics. I couldn't make the trip as I was flying solo here at home and would have had to board all my critters.

3. Marie Nock

Marie Nock Well-Known Member

What a wonderful day! A huge thank you to our organizer Ron, to our hosts Mike, Bob and Mike (Greg and Dede too) and to our primo auctioneer Jeff. It was great to see the many varieties of crotons - some were the first time I had seen in person. It was good to visit with everyone and to meet some new friends. Plus, we came home with a carload of beauties!

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

A car load? You guys were so packed full of plants, you didn't have enough room to change your mind on the way home, LOL :D

Definitely a great day. I think Leslie has got the croton bug baaaaaad. :eek:

Attached Files:

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

It was great day yesterday,the weather even cooperated for the most part.Just a light shower here and there.The auction was eye opening,I am guessing at least 60-90 different varieties including Mike's monster Inca.I hope someone took a picture of that one!!

6. Jim Glock

Jim Glock Active Member

A big thank you from the Glocks go to the hosts at all of the venues, Mike, Bob, and Mike. Your places were awsome. Thank you Mike for letting us have lunch at your place. To have a spledid meal in a tropical garden is a real treat. A special thank you to the Moose aka Ron Keifer for his hard work in planning this affair. Thanks to all who brought great food....I am still dreaming about Marie's pies. And thanks go to all who brought and bought plants at the auction. What a wonderful way to spread this "sickness" that we all have.

7. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Many thanks to our impressario and tour co-ordinator Moose aka Ron and our scheduled hosts Mike W, Bob, and Mike H and the apres-tour visit to Jeff and Andrea Searle's. left home with a carload of plants and came back witha carload of different plants. Drenching rain on I-75 for much of the ride home and a bare sprinkle here in the S. Pinellas Desert. Now some pics:
    first 7 are a Mike Woolery's (Bullwinkle)
    next 2 are at Bob's; the interupted variety is called Plant Creations #2

Attached Files:

8. Phil Stager

..and a few of auction plants and the poolside lunch - probably the best lunch buffet with a wide variety of fine foods.

Attached Files:

9. Perry Edge

Perry Edge Active Member

Great gathering, great lunch and so good to see old friends and make new ones. What awesome collections we saw! A big thanks to all who planned and participated. Let's do it again, maybe in the fall?

10. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

After I saw the inca at the auction it was like move over Johanna coppinger we will need a lot of space for this new beauty. Thanks to the host at all of the gardens. I had fun

11. Kipjanet

Kipjanet Active Member

Thanks for your hard work on this one. I had fun and will new shovel when I'm finished planting

12. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Thanks to our gracious hosts Mike, Bob, Mike & Jeff's for the finale.(I missed Jeff's fearing my head would explode). Also Ron's help putting it together. Once again I came home with more crotons than I brought. :eek:

Thanks again everyone for a great day.

13. Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle Well-Known Member

Thank you to our three host, Mike,Bob and Mike H. It was nice to visit a new garden( Bullwinkle), you had some really intersting plants in the yard. And many thanks for all that brought food, lots of homemade goodies! And to Ron,aka...Moose, you did a great job pulling it all together and for the life of me, how you kept it rain free for practically the whole day was unbeleivable! And nice to see some new faces come out and be a part of the group. George, Bill, Andy, Dawn and Perry, just to mention a few.

14. bahadawn

bahadawn Active Member

Wow - what a great day we had on the croton tour! Many, many thanks to our tour hosts - Mike (Bullwinkle), Bob, Mike Harris, and Jeff and Andrea. Your gardens and croton collections are just awesome. Your willingness to share the beauty of your gardens is greatly appreciated. My sister and I are both inspired.... we will work harder than ever on our gardens here in the northern Palm Beach County area so that one day we can host all of you! On the way home, Crystal was bemoaning the loss in the auction of the beautiful “Inca.” Oh well, there’s always next year! I just have to laugh, because on the way back up I-75, once again, we were so overloaded with crotons, I could not see out the back window. It was deja vu all over again from the Searle’s plant sale a few months ago. What fun! To Mike Harris - a thank you for hosting the potluck lunch, and also thanks to all the excellent cooks! Ron - I especially want to thank you for your welcoming nature on this forum, and all your cool submissions to it, and of course, for your dedication in organizing the tour/auction. And, Jeff - for my first ever auction (of any kind), now I’m hooked. You are a natural auctioneer! It was a great time to laugh, and also learn more about this new obsession of mine. All in all, it was a wonderful day putting faces to the names on the forum and meeting such nice people who share the croton fever. Even my daughter, who was most certainly humoring her aunt and mom by accompanying us on an all-day, hot and sunny garden tour, enjoyed herself. I think all you nice croton lovers made an impression on her! Here’s a picture I took in Bob’s garden of a statue of St. Francis surrounded by a croton - which one, I cannot remember. It was a peaceful scene. Thanks again to everyone involved in making the tour/auction a perfect time.

Attached Files:

15. bahadawn

bahadawn Active Member

Beautiful shots, Rob!

16. bahadawn

bahadawn Active Member

Phil - that picture of the Banyan/Auction Site is fantastic - thanks!

17. donroberth

donroberth Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the all the fotos taken at latest Croton Fest...thank you for posting !!!

18. Dypsisdean

Dypsisdean Administrator Staff Member

I'm glad to see and hear you guys all had a successful and enjoyable get together.

19. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

A good time and a really nice gathering. Thanks to all for their efforts. Here's some pics at Mikes' (Bullwinkle) place and the action that was going on.

Attached Files:

20. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

Here we are at Bob's garden. An old time croton grower with many large an beautiful crotons. Quite a planting! And a most generous person as several of us , including me, walked out with some very nice plants. I will return the favor some day.

Attached Files:

21. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

and a couple more

Attached Files:

22. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

And on to Mike Harris' gaqrden. What a beautiful place he has. My camera battery died before I could get pics of his garden but I was able to capture the essence of the tour. The Auction!

Attached Files:

23. pocomo

pocomo Active Member

and a few more

Attached Files:

24. TikiRick

TikiRick Well-Known Member

I ditto all of the comments to our hosts, cooks, and spectacular croton enthusiasts! I walked away with:
    Philadelphia
    Inca
    Joe Friday
    Caribbean Star
    Rudy Bachman
    Leopardita?
    Heaven?

Now...where in the HELL do I plant them?

25. palmisland

Busy week for me, but I wanted to get some photos up of the three gardens we were fortunate to tour................here ya go :D First up is Mike's (Bullwinkle)

Attached Files:

26. palmisland

:rolleyes:Now on to Bob's

Attached Files:

27. palmisland

Mike H. (waykooplants) is next for the croton auction & some yummy food. We lucked out with the weather & Mike got his estate watered while we ate. I can't wait for the next get together!:cool: There was an after party at Jeff's that I didn't have a get a chance to get to as my brain was full. :p

Attached Files:

28. Emmylou

Emmylou Active Member

Thank you to our gracious hosts, Mike, Bob, and Mike H. for such a wonderful day. I came home with several beautiful crotons and will work on getting them in the ground soon. Can't wait for the next tour & auction. Marnie & Gerry

29. Rags

Rags Active Member

Wow,
    These plants and gardens are beautiful (I need to up my game).

Now how do I go about booking myself into a tour??

30. Phil Stager

Just follow this board to see when the next one is - then be ready to spend $350+ on airfare from Port of Spain to Miami, FL and return.

31. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Marnie - looks like you have evolved out of the lurking class. :eek: Good to see your post! This was your second Croton Garden Tour this year. You may have been bitten by the bug. :eek:

See ya Monday Night at the meeting. I'm mulling over which plants to enter into the show. :confused:

Attached Files: