Croton tour at FLAMINGO GARDENS (OUTSTANDING)

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Native son, Apr 29, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Any more photos from the Flamingo Garden Outing.?

2. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Say hello to my little friend. Our buddy was a bit of a ham ...

Attached Files:

3. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

A couple of more shots of colorful plants under the pavilon. 2nd photo has Jim Glock (red shirt) and Rob Van der Borg (checkered shirt) trading croton yarns with unseen crotonheads. :p

Attached Files:

4. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Brillant Flamingos (not the croton, LOL :D) and White Ibis by the pond located adjacent to the snack bar. :cool:

My wife and I got some yummy Smoothies :eek:

Attached Files:

5. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

A colorful "chicken" displaying. There were plenty of peacocks wandering about Flamingo Gardens :cool:

Attached Files:

6. Perry Edge

Perry Edge Active Member

Those were great mangos...best I've ever tasted. What was the variety?

7. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Hey Perry, I pretty sure they are Haden. I am at three or four a day, I have a very serious problem with self control. In the Fairchild spring issue there is information on the history if this Mango. Really good reading.:cool:

8. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Perry - Very glad you enjoyed them. Lamar is correct on the cultivar, Haden. My tree is very old. A 8 ft. ladder with a 12 ft. picker required to get at them. They beat the crap out of my crotons ("mango bombs"). This variety is not grown very much anymore. It has problems with anthracnose caused by a Colletotrichum fungus. Usually brought on by rain and the high sugar content in the fruit. Other cultivars have been developed that are resistent to anthracnose. More squirrels get my fruit than the fungus does (especially the two legged ones).

When I purchased my home 19 years ago, I inherited the tree. Was told by several neighbors when I moved in to "cut that tree down". "It does not fruit much, the fruits are small and they don't taste good". After two years of some Moose loving, those same neighbors come swarming for fruit every spring. Same with my Lula avocado tree.

9. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Phil - would love to meet up with you when you make it to Pinecrest Gardens. Craig Morell is adding more cultivars as the budget permits.

You could then take a bit of a detour to Moose Land afterwards ... :confused:

HEY - Am I the only person who took photos at the Flamingo Garden Tour ??? :(

10. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

Oops, found another photo from the outing. :p

Jose - the proud croton Daddy is sending his croton baby out into the world to beautify a garden :D

Attached Files: