Croton Snobbery

Discussion in 'THE CROTON SOCIETY' started by Moose, Sep 9, 2013.

Banner funded expressly in recognition and support of Tropiscape.

1. Moose

Moose Esteemed Member

A confession here: Across the street from where I work, the neighbor was redoing the center garden bed of his circular drive. He planted a Phoenix roebelenii in the center with a row of one gallon Petras along the sidewalk. The evil croton snob feelings came to the surface. "what a fantastic area, and look at the Home Depot cheap crap he put in. Well its been almost a year and I must admit, the Petras look outstanding.

Attached Files:

2. palmisland

palmisland Well-Known Member

Are you stealth feeding them? :rolleyes:

3. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong at all with Petra - other than it is drop dead common. Educating people that lack enthusiasm for plants is difficult and challenging at best. At least he keeps the place presentable.

4. Native son

Native son Well-Known Member

Phil it is all good, I moved some 30 feet into my neighbors lawn. I explained there S.W. desert motif needed a little color. :eek:

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Speaking about Petra,anyone who is coming to the auction that has a really nice Petra,I will be a buyer,When I moved I did not bring many of the common varieties with me and I am looking for a nice big colorful Petra.Not a Home Depot special ,I want a really nice one :)

6. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

Petra can be really nice if planted in a location that is barley kissed by sun. I do not like Petra that is planted in sun locations. These are only kissed by the sun as the sun sits in the western sky.
    IMG_2793.jpg IMG_2795.jpg IMG_2796.jpg

7. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

No sun hits these 2 Petras growing in deep shade.
    IMG_2801.jpg IMG_2802.jpg

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Esteemed Member

Wow,very nice

9. ScotTi

ScotTi Esteemed Member

The great summer color on the ever so popular Petra. Img_5786.jpg Img_5788.jpg Img_5789.jpg Img_5790.jpg Img_5791.jpg

10. Phil Stager

Phil Stager Well-Known Member

Now if those crotons had almost any other name other than Petra, we'd all be ooooing and aaawing about the great color on them.