Croton Snobbery

Moose

Esteemed Member
10/09/09
A confession here: Across the street from where I work, the neighbor was redoing the center garden bed of his circular drive. He planted a Phoenix roebelenii in the center with a row of one gallon Petras along the sidewalk. The evil croton snob feelings came to the surface. "what a fantastic area, and look at the Home Depot cheap crap he put in. Well its been almost a year and I must admit, the Petras look outstanding.

Attachments

• Petras 1.JPG
    Petras 1.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Petras 2.JPG
    Petras 2.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Petras 3.JPG
    Petras 3.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Petras 4.JPG
    Petras 4.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 68
Nothing wrong at all with Petra - other than it is drop dead common. Educating people that lack enthusiasm for plants is difficult and challenging at best. At least he keeps the place presentable.

Phil it is all good, I moved some 30 feet into my neighbors lawn. I explained there S.W. desert motif needed a little color. :eek:

Speaking about Petra,anyone who is coming to the auction that has a really nice Petra,I will be a buyer,When I moved I did not bring many of the common varieties with me and I am looking for a nice big colorful Petra.Not a Home Depot special ,I want a really nice one :)

Petra can be really nice if planted in a location that is barley kissed by sun. I do not like Petra that is planted in sun locations. These are only kissed by the sun as the sun sits in the western sky.
IMG_2793.jpgIMG_2795.jpgIMG_2796.jpg