In the on-going battle to save my Crotons, it appears as though I may have the buggers on the run. Sad to say though that there haven't been casualties. Both of my edible fig trees have been cut back to the ground. I ate one and got sick from the Beyers 3 in 1 that I'm using on the nearby Crotons. I've since switched to Malathion for the plants in that area. I've given up on the Barbados Cherry tree; let the birds and squirrels eat the fruit. Again, it's surrounded by Crotons that have been the worst of the scale-infested plants. I have found scale on almost every Croton in the garden and, upon finding new infestations, I first grab my clippers. Any pesticide takes at least a week to have an effect on the scale. In that time, it's drawing ants, which are making sooty mold and essentially ruining the plant. I have no problem hacking off huge chunks of plants and tossing them in the trash. If nothing else, I'm getting bushier Crotons as time goes on. Having cut off the worst of it, I then drench that Croton and every other Croton in the area, regardless of whether I can see scale or not. Beyers 3 in 1 seems be working the best, every 30 days or sooner if I see a problem. I'm using Malathion near the remaining fruit trees and doing my best to spray away from them or not at all. The little white fuzzy bug that supposed to be eating Croton scale is not present in enough of a population to deal with it and I've probably thrown down enough pesticide that I've killed it as well. One of the positive aspects of heavy treatment is that I'm seeing fewer Lubbers this year then ever. If the pesticide is killing them or just making the plants taste bad, I'm not complaining.